Auto bilge pump not kicking on

Hey guys,
    2021 518, has the 800 gph Rule auto pump. The pump doesn’t come on automatically. If I hit the button on console it will manually come on and pump water out. I have had about 3” of water in the rear bilge before and it never kicked on. Anything zi can check to see what may be wrong?
    thanks!

The new ones have a sensor to detect water. Sounds like yours might have went bad. If by chance it’s a float type..they get gunked up with bilge mess over time. Your boat is too new for that…I would suspect bad sensor. In the past Ranger would send you a new one and then you send in the bad one. I haven’t had a warranty claim in a while though, so not familiar with the post WRM policy.

3. Member
    After about a year of ownership on my 2020 z520 I discovered the auto pump wasn’t working properly after not securing the drain plug properly one day.
    After investigating the cause I found the fuse for the auto side of the pump was missing. Never installed at the factory/dealer.
    I would be sure to check that first. Sorry I don’t remember the exact location, but it was a in-line plastic fuse all on its own coming off battery positive, either at the batt or the batt switch.
    hope this helps, Ken

4. Member
    My 07 521VX is the same. I have 2 switches at my console. One controls a bilge pump and the other one seems to do nothing. I have also had a lot of water in my boat and I have never had a pump kick on automatically.

while you are messing around in your boat you may want so see if the automatic pump is wired direct or through your power breaker. I believe they are both through the breaker. In my case I want the auto pump direct to the battery because there are times when I am staying at the lake with boat in the water for several days. I want my auto bilge to kick on if needed even at night when the breaker is off.

May not be enough water to turn it on . The auto is farther forward so it takes more water . Will pump if you manually turn it on tho
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

6. Member
    You might wanna confirm that it’s the same pump that comes on when you manually start it. Mine has a manual and a auto pump. My manual works fine but my auto pump has never started and the switch does nothing. I am not sure why there even needs to be a switch for the auto pump. I think I am gone just hook it direct to the battery and use the float switch so it can never be off.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtbuck View Post
    Hey guys,
    2021 518, has the 800 gph Rule auto pump. The pump doesn’t come on automatically. If I hit the button on console it will manually come on and pump water out. I have had about 3” of water in the rear bilge before and it never kicked on. Anything zi can check to see what may be wrong?
    thanks!
    Did the water accumulate while you were running or on the trailer? I once had some water in my boat after a rain, just before a tournament. Called Ranger and the person on the phone told me the auto bilge only comes on if the switch is set to ON/RUN...I was like what???? Who sets their boat to ON/RUN at night or when it's plugged in and you trying to keep your batteries charged.......I have a 2016 Z119C and that's what works on my model unfortunately... You could be different....
    Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

8. Member
    Thanks guys. The water is getting into bilge while on the lake. I will try to find out how it is coming in later. I let it get to about 3” at one point to see if pump would come on. I know the pump works when hitting the switch, because I can turn both pumps on manually and I could tell the auto pump is running by touching it. I will check the fuse and how it is hooked up before going out this weekend. I think it is hooked to the main switch. Dealer said to check the fuse too.

9. Member
    It takes quite a bit of water for the auto to engage. Test it in the driveway. Fill her up and check.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Know this is an old post but where in the heck is the fuse. Can someone post a pic of it. My bilge runs on auto with no water in it. On the keypad my manual switch lights up and the pump runs. Hit the auto switch, both manual & auto lights and pump runs. I know it isn't supposed to work like that. I have 3 wires that plug into the harness just above the pumps. Brown/brown-white stripe, black. Which wire to wire directly to my battery, if I have to

One press is manual. Pressure again and the auto will come on. But what year is the boat? The diagram is on the battery lid

2012 Z521. Yes, if I press the manual button, bilge comes on. Press the auto button, both manual & auto lights up and bilge pump runs. Press auto again, both lights go out, bilge pump quits running.
    My pump does not have a float. It does have a "press" button to test but that does nothing. I've heard of a blown fuse but have no idea if or where it it. Thinking about connecting the float wire, solid brown I think directly to the battery and see if that works.
    Any solutions you have is appreciated. Btw, my bilge pump is a Rule-Mate RM750A, but these are no longer available, so will have to find one for it.

it has a water sensor. They get dirty. The auto part should be wired direct to battery

Will wire it to the battery today and see what happens. Will let you know.
    Thanks

15. Member
    It may well already be wired to hot side of disconnecting switch.
    Mike

I ran the brown wire to the battery, put water in the bilge and it worked fine. It supposed to have a fuse somewhere in the harness on the float wire but have no idea where it is. It may be just a blown fuse. On the keypad, press the manual and the red lights up. Press the auto, both red lights on. May just put a fuse in line on the brown wire and to the battery if I can't find the fuse or the problem else where.

blkfaic4.....Would you happen to know whereto fuse is?
    Last edited by tracer1; 05-31-2022 at 01:31 PM.

17. Member
    On my rig it's an inline connected to the hot side of the perko disconnect switch. Everything is disconnected with the switch except the auto bilge pump.
    Mike

Thanks Mike. Only thing I have on a switch are my power poles. I use the circuit breaker for everything else.