SHO Squeak Type Noise

My SHO has developed this “squeak” type sound occurring at idle after long runs. It reminds me of a compressor going bad on a ProXs. Not sure how else to describe it. Do SHO’s have a compressor? With a big tournament coming up I want to have this addressed before it creates a bigger problem. Any ideas what it could be? It’s still under warranty but I’m not sure how to explain it to a mechanic other than the video below.

https://vimeo.com/630620400

2. Member
    Drop the LU and grease the drive shaft

3. Member
    I have the same thing on my engine. Only does it after a long hard run then idling afterwards. While having some other work done I asked mechanic about it and he said its the belt idler pulley. Said he's changed 6-7 of them and it's fixed the problem. Waiting on parts but he's confident it'll fix problem.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KDC 455 View Post
    I have the same thing on my engine. Only does it after a long hard run then idling afterwards. While having some other work done I asked mechanic about it and he said its the belt idler pulley. Said he's changed 6-7 of them and it's fixed the problem. Waiting on parts but he's confident it'll fix problem.
    that’s exactly when mine does it. And it does have the belt squeak type sound.

Looks like I’m not the only one http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=34537
    Last edited by CoryKerber; 10-13-2021 at 09:16 AM.

5. Member
    Mine did the same thing and I dropped lower unit and greased the drive shaft and that solved the problem

6. Member
    Driveshaft just needs to be greased.

Drop the lower unit and grease on the splines and where it's rubbing at the top of the drive shaft. (You can see where it rubs.) It will stop.

7. Member
    Before throwing a bunch of expensive parts at it.......

Drop the Lower Unit and grease the drive shaft.

Mine does it every year 9-10 months in. Good reminder annual service is almost due. lol

Edit:
    You may want to consider a different mechanic. Thats like replacing the trim/tilt because it starts making a crunching noise while trimming the motor.

Dont replace the trim/tilt unit, it just needs a little grease on the ends of the lift rods.

8. Member
    This noise is almost always caused by a dry driveshaft bushing.... I'd question the mechanic saying it is caused by the timing belt tensioner.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

9. Member
    Mine was doing the same "squeal" after long hard run.....grease on the gear at top of shaft solved the problem. same for the trim rods.....everything needs a little lube.
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

My first SHO did this and greasing the driveshaft each year took care of it - my current SHO I bought in 2018 hasn't done it.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100