Another Lower Unit Question

New to me 1999 225 Optimax. 0G842489

I think the lower unit needs replaced/rebuilt.

1. Am I right about rebuild/replacing ?
    2. About 3" of the skeg is broken off. (Piece is still in the battery compartment of the boat)
    3. There is play fore and aft or in and out of the propeller Shaft. About 1/4" to 3/8" of play.
    4. No shavings or water in the oil at time of impeller and oil change.
    5. Best to rebuild or replace?
    6. OK to use the aftermarket lower units?
    7. What all is included in rebuild?
    8. I wonder if parts to eliminate the play would be replaced? I have no idea what parts cause that issue.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom
    Last edited by BassnChris; 10-12-2021 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add question
    1999 TR-21
    Optimax 225 Serial Number 0G842489

2. Member
    Have the skeg welded back/repaired if possible. A welder that knows what he/she is doing can do that repair and as far as rebuilding goes, have tech tear it down and look at it and go from there. do the tear down first of course. That is how I would go about it at least.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Given the specific gearcase model, it's hard to do much more than minor repairs (bearings, seals and shimming) as the new replacement (OEM) is not all that expensive. Avoid the aftermarket stuff- it's cheap for a reason.

As for the skeg- Mercury offers a replacement for this gearcase. I do not recommend skeg repairs unless the boat will never exceed 55 MPH.

Of course- a new gearcase comes with a new skeg.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Given the specific gearcase model, it's hard to do much more than minor repairs (bearings, seals and shimming) as the new replacement (OEM) is not all that expensive. Avoid the aftermarket stuff- it's cheap for a reason.

As for the skeg- Mercury offers a replacement for this gearcase. I do not recommend skeg repairs unless the boat will never exceed 55 MPH.

Of course- a new gearcase comes with a new skeg.
    Would these 'minor' repairs fix this "3. There is play fore and aft or in and out of the propeller Shaft. About 1/4" to 3/8" of play."
    Or is that play nothing to be concerned with?

Thanks.
    1999 TR-21

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This particular gearcase is not shimmed on the "aft" end, so the propshaft will move in and out approximately 3/8"

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    This particular gearcase is not shimmed on the "aft" end, so the propshaft will move in and out approximately 3/8"
    Thank you sir.

Is there a special model number or identifier that is used as indicator of what type of lower unit I have? You mentioned before that 'this type' of unit could not have much rebuilt.
    What is it that makes it different? Almost sounds like it a disposable lower unit.

What would I be looking for to replace it with if I replace with exact same unit?

Could I use other LU ?

Thank you again...I appreciate your help and guidance.
    1999 TR-21

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Rhonda’s post at the top of the forum. You can lookup the Gearcase on our parts site, or drop an email to the Parts Department for parts assistance.

8. Member
    Thank you.
    1999 TR-21