Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Annual Maintenance questions

Hi all.

I'm doing some maintenance on my 2008 250 Optimax Pro XS (serial number 1B549967 with approximately 400 hours). The Recommended Annual Maintenance list was very helpful but I have a few questions after I conducted several searches online:

1. I plan to do the quick belt test on my air compressor. If all is good, is it worth being proactive and replace it or wait until I experience issues?
    2. I want to check the inlet strainer to the compressor but can't find any videos or pics showing me where and how. Anybody have a link to share?

Thanks again!

Kevin
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

It’s in the FAQ Commonly used posts up top. Some of the images are gone but still very useful.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=565408
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

3. Member
    Thank you! There were images down several of the responses that are very helpful.

Any feedback regarding the compressor - to be proactive with replacement or wait until there are symptoms?

Thanks again.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

There is no reason to proactively replace a compressor BUT do check the compressor itself, pulleys, mounting bolts, idler pulley and its mounting bolts regularly each year. I always replaced the belt every few years…pretty much whatever Don recommends.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely inspect it, operate it by hand, replace belt (at least once every 4 yrs or 400 hrs), test tensioner.

I don't recommend replacing "perfectly good compressors" just because you can. Have even seen a couple cases where someone did, only to have a failure on the new one (while the perfectly good old one sat on the shelf).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you!!!

7. Member
    Don, I'm blown away a compressor isn't on the list of parts to change every x years or x hours. What if this 08 engine never had its strainer cleaned or compressor oil filters changed?
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 10-12-2021 at 08:46 PM.

If you are not cleaning the compressor strainer on a regular basis after reading this forum at all, you are not performing all of the required maintenance. Or you could wait until the strainer was fully clogged and receive a compressor overheat alarm.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

9. Member
    I've had and paid others to do the maintenance in the past. I'm now learning to do it myself. The closest certified mechanic is 2 hours away which makes it hard to get things done.

10. Member
    When replacing the fuel filter I found a few orange crystals in the bottom of the reservoir. I think it's from the old fuel lines that I recently replaced that can better handle the new gas. Has anyone seen this before?

11. Member
    I agree. Here's one I cleaned out.
    20210925_152840.jpg

I clean mine once a year when I take the lower cowlings off to change the spark plugs. Never found a whole lot of anything on it, but I don't fish a lot of weed choked lakes.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

13. Member
    Strainer questions: The hose that connects to the strainer, does it come from the compressor above? And what is the white residue that's on it? It looks like the entire hex bolt is painted white. Thanks

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    Don, I'm blown away a compressor isn't on the list of parts to change every x years or x hours. What if this 08 engine never had its strainer cleaned or compressor oil filters changed?
    After all of the revisions- no, I still don't recommend replacing the compressor as an INTERVAL maintenance item, any more than I would recommend replacing the Powerhead as an interval-maintenance item.

Yes, Direct Injectors are expensive (more so than you thought and they're not getting cheaper). The same can be said for most any part of the engine, though.

Definitely DO recommend regular maintenance of the strainer, belt, tensioner, and manual check of the compressor for any signs of problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Ok, thanks.

The tensioner has a grease fitting, I just greased mine.
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 10-13-2021 at 05:48 PM.

16. Member
    Strainer questions: The hose that connects to the strainer, does it come from the compressor above? And what is the white residue that's on it? It looks like the entire hex bolt is painted white. Thanks

the hose to the strainer does come from the compressor and the white substance is thread sealant

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In reality, the hose to the compressor WATER INLET comes from the Strainer (the strainer is the supply port for the air compressor's cooling circuit).

PTFE "Paste" thread sealant is applied to the threads of the strainer.

18. Member
    Thank you again. That is helpful. I couldn't get the lower cowling off last night. I followed the instructions but can't figure out how to disconnect the rubber/plastic piece with the water 'pee' hole and the water flush connection point. Is it possible to access the strainer without removing the lower cowling? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kmelford View Post
    I followed the instructions but can't figure out how to disconnect the rubber/plastic piece with the water 'pee' hole and the water flush connection point. Is it possible to access the strainer without removing the lower cowling? Thanks.
    Did you remove both lower cowling bolts in the rear of the engine? The exhaust boot stays on the engine. The lower cowlings just slip into it on either side. They can be stuck pretty good sometimes.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

20. Member
    You are right. I missed the hidden bolt at the bottom back. I think I'll need to buy a u-joint socket to get to it. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast