FLORIDA F&W and Blue Cypress

Here is a note to Fish and Wildlife folks..

Blue Cypress is one of the most scenic lakes I have ever fished anywhere...any state..

It could be a TERRIFIC bass lake if you would pay attention to it and manage it better. I don't know what it needs. I am not educated in that. But I believe you could reason that out. It is near the same area as Garcia, Stick Marsh, and Headwaters and more beautiful than any of them in my opinion....but the bass fishing is nowhere near any of those three.

I fished it again recently because it is a good lake in the wind.. and it was windy for sure. It is sad how bad the bass population and size is for such a lake with such huge potential.

Could the Fish and Game pay some attention to it? It just needs some stocking and attention and it could be a gem of a place to fish.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Too many Gar and Mud fish. It does have some nice bass, but it could be a whole lot better.
    USAF Retired 1983 - 2003
    Ground Radio Technician
    2013 Nitro Z6 115 Optimax

3. Member
    Did it ever get opened up to Farm13?
    I ask because I thought something was said about them opening it up where boat traffic could get from one to another a few years back.
    Never happened?

4. Member
    First lake I ever fished in Florida almost 40 years ago!

5. Member
    No. They never opened it up.

It is just a shame to see a place with such potential be treated like a step child. It is the prettiest, most interesting lake I have fished in Florida. A lot of what it has, such as the cypress trees and natural cover has been destroyed in our state. It is a shame we don't or FWC does not make use of it. If it had a good population of bass, it would be a blast to fish.
    RT188

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    No. They never opened it up.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Definitely the nicest view of any lake I recall ever fishing.

7. Banned
    It used to be open to go into Garcia, but closed that up many years ago.

8. Member
    While I have never yet Personally Fished it, I hear almost weekly reports of Good Catches and Big Bass being caught out of it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    While I have never yet Personally Fished it, I hear almost weekly reports of Good Catches and Big Bass being caught out of it.
    That's very interesting... I have not heard that. I have fished it a good bit in the last 15 years or so. I have used the same techniques as I use in other lakes around here and have never had what I would call a "great" day there.

I have had days with over 50 fish at all the surrounding lakes.....some way over 50. ....
    But I have never had a day like that at Blue Cypress... could be that I need to be doing something different I guess....
    RT188

10. Member
    That's very interesting... I have not heard that. I have fished it a good bit in the last 15 years or so. I have used the same techniques as I use in other lakes around here and have never had what I would call a "great" day there.

I have had days with over 50 fish at all the surrounding lakes.....some way over 50. ....
    But I have never had a day like that at Blue Cypress... could be that I need to be doing something different I guess....
    I don't think so, I have heard a few good reports now and then. I have fished it twice. I hate it. After the first time said I would never go back, 10+years later heard good report. Went back NEVER again. To many great options close by.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

I used to feel the same way many years ago until I got a chance to fish with an older gentleman from Vero Beach that has long passed, he grew up fishing Blue Cypress his entire life. the first time was in a tournament, he told me we would catch a lot of fish and one of us would catch one between 8 and 10 pounds, I was very skeptical, but he was correct, he had 16 pounds in the fist 20 minutes on schooling fish offshore on a shell bed, then we went to the trees and submerged stumps for all the trees you see there are as many stumps you can't, any way by the end of the day he won with a little over 25 pounds I had 22 with a 9:14 out of the back as an observer. I do not get to fish it much but when I do I generally do very well. The trick is to fish real slow.

12. Banned
    I fished it for 5 days and it sucked big time. I dont give a damn how good it looks. Too me the best looking stuff is matted out hydrilla in open water with pockets in it. Throw in some pennywart and cabbage with open holes in it and im in heaven. Thats beautiful. fyi Beinville used to look like that till they got rid of all the hydrilla. I used to fish that place twice a week.man we wacked them 100 degrees or 35 degrees in jan.
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 10-14-2021 at 11:15 PM.

13. Member
    In the 47 years I've lived here - I have probably fished it 30 times - way below average bass fishing....but WORLD CLASS Mudfish fishing!!! It is possible to catch over 50 a day if you are so inclined!

14. Member

I replied back to you.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myron View Post
    I used to feel the same way many years ago until I got a chance to fish with an older gentleman from Vero Beach that has long passed, he grew up fishing Blue Cypress his entire life. the first time was in a tournament, he told me we would catch a lot of fish and one of us would catch one between 8 and 10 pounds, I was very skeptical, but he was correct, he had 16 pounds in the fist 20 minutes on schooling fish offshore on a shell bed, then we went to the trees and submerged stumps for all the trees you see there are as many stumps you can't, any way by the end of the day he won with a little over 25 pounds I had 22 with a 9:14 out of the back as an observer. I do not get to fish it much but when I do I generally do very well. The trick is to fish real slow.
    Doesn't seem to matter the Water, there is always SOMEONE that has figured out how to Catch fish out of it and does well while everyone else struggles.

So far I've found the evening bass bite is way better then the morning bite.
    USAF Retired 1983 - 2003
    Ground Radio Technician
    2013 Nitro Z6 115 Optimax

17. Member
    It was open to Kenansville not that long ago, it made an easy run to get in there without going down that brutal road, who the hell knows why they blocked it off. Blue Cypress has good fish but its a very hard lake to break down. When the water is up they are back in the jungle where you cant get to them, I've had some of my best fishing in there, but also got kicked hard in the nads many other times. It's actually good that people hate it and don't come back, that just keeps the googans from overfishing it. It is the most beautiful lake in Florida.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    I fished it for 5 days and it sucked big time. I dont give a damn how good it looks. Too me the best looking stuff is matted out hydrilla in open water with pockets in it. Throw in some pennywart and cabbage with open holes in it and im in heaven. Thats beautiful. fyi Beinville used to look like that till they got rid of all the hydrilla. I used to fish that place twice a week.man we wacked them 100 degrees or 35 degrees in jan.
    I think the same thing. I miss Istokpoga, Walk in water, Okeechobee and Kissimmee chain
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB