Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Difference between 150hp & 175hp SHOs?

I posted this in the Yamaha High Performance section, but haven't received a response yet. Thought I'd post the question here also.
    Aside from the gear ratios, are the ECUs the only differences between the 150 SHO & the 175 SHO? All the other specs appear to be the same. Will installing a Yamaha 175 SHO ECU on a 150 SHO boost it to a 175? I am aware of the difference in the electrical connectors from the early to later ECUs. Hydro Tec doesn't flash the 150 ECU's, & I haven't contacted Simon's yet. Thanks!

2. Member
    Go to the Yamaha USA website and open the parts book for a VF150 and a VF175. Same production year. You can then see each and every difference between the two models.

Or the differences amongst any one of the two models by production year.

If you have a VF150, and it has the same part number main wire harness as does a given VF175, then the chances are highly likely that you could install a VF175 ECU to gain a bit more power.

https://www.boats.net/search?q=6FH-8...0&ui=typeahead

3. Member
    Thanks yam911. I didn't think of matching the main wire harnesses. I confirmed a match between the 2 for my model year. My boat is rated for a 175. Thanks again!

4. Member
    Johns Creek, Georgia? Right up the road from me.

What production date VF175 have yee?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Johns Creek, Georgia? Right up the road from me.

What production date VF175 have yee?

Yep, Atlanta native. Where are you located? I have a 2014 VF150 it matches with the 2015 VF175. It's on a Phoenix 618 PRO I bought last May that was a 1 owner with only 82 hrs.

6. Member
    Kennesaw.

A 2014 production year VF150 uses the same wire harness as does a 2015 production year VF175.

Apart from the lower unit as you note, the only difference that I can see are the graphics and the ECU.

7. Member
    Nice, I have friends in the Kennesaw area. I think I'm going to go for it. It's more expensive than a possible flash, but will have the confidence in a OEM Yamaha factory part. Thanks for all your help!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    Nice, I have friends in the Kennesaw area.
    My condolences to your friends.

Kennesaw is being overtaken by outsiders. Way too much of the wrong kind of growth.

Atlantafucation. Y'all are next.

9. Member

Kennesaw is being overtaken by outsiders. Way too much of the wrong kind of growth.

I think we're ahead of you.

10. Member

And it's moving up I-75. I'm in Dalton and realize it's coming this way as well.

11. Member
    When I needed to go to the social security office it was easier to drive to Dalton than to go to Marietta. Nicer folks up there also.

12. Member
    I did some additional research before ordering the 175 ECU and noticed that the cam "driven gear assembly" for the 175 has a different part # and looks different from the "driven gear assembly" on the 150. I'm afraid this might cause a problem in the way the 175 ECU will process the info from the cam position sensor in the 150 even though the cam position sensors are the same in both. As a result, I haven't placed the order for the 175 ECU.

13. Member

Where is the "Like" button! LOL

14. Member
    IMO, I wouldn't waste my time and money on this venture. These lower horsepower SHO's do not offer much of a difference over the standard 4 stroke outboards.

15. Member
    [QUOTE=PSM207;12142030]IMO, I wouldn't waste my time and money on this venture. These lower horsepower SHO's do not offer much of a difference over the standard 4 stroke outboards.

I'm not deciding between or comparing the differences of the SHO's & the standard 4 strokes. I'd like to boost the hp & performance of the 150 SHO that was on the boat when I bought it. The boat I bought is rated for a 175. Not approaching it from the standpoint of time and money.

16. Member
    A particular VF150 could be outputting less or more than 150 HP. A particular VF175 could be outputting more or less than 175 HP.

Without a dynomometer test, there is no way to know for sure what power any particular motor is producing.

An expensive gamble to take if and when just changing out an ECU. End result could be exciting or could be a waste of time and money.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olypopper View Post
    Where is the "Like" button! LOL
    Do you get down to Yamaha Kennesaw from time to time?

I live about a mile from the facility. Give me a shout if and when you get down this way. I will buy you a beer.

Having been in Anchorage in February, that is a good time to get the hell out and go south for a while.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM207 View Post
    IMO, I wouldn't waste my time and money on this venture. These lower horsepower SHO's do not offer much of a difference over the standard 4 stroke outboards.
    Let me add to my statement above. The real world performance difference between the SHO 150 and 175 is marginal at best. Same goes for comparing the SHO 150 & 175 to the standard 4 stroke outboards.

What boat are you running with the SHO 150?

19. Member
    What boat are you running with the SHO 150?[/QUOTE]

I recently purchased a like new 2014 Phoenix 618 Pro with only 82 hrs on it knowing it was rated for a 175. My intention, when I bought it, was to have the ECU flashed. I know the #'s aren't going to be life changing, however, I would like to maximize the boat's performance. The motor's set at 3 1/2" p2p with a 15 1/8 x 22 VMAX SHO prop. I'm running approximately 61 mph / gps at 6000 rpms, which is right in line with the Yamaha performance bulletin for a 618 with a 150 SHO. The Yamaha performance bulletin for the 618 with a 175 SHO shows approximately 65 mph. I also have a 23 Tempest to try on it as well. I can't help it, I'm a gearhead, it's an addiction. Your input & help is appreciated!
    Last edited by OnTRAK; 10-23-2021 at 03:59 PM.

20. Member
    OnTRAK - IM sent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast