87 373v question

Hey all. I just bought an 87 373v and have a question about the breakers. It has the 2 breakers for the trolling motor. And 2 breakers for the main but they don’t seem to push to turn off. I used to have an 86 373v and those breakers would trip when pushed to turn them off. Just want to make sure there isn’t anything gonna drain on the batteries. Can I add a main shutoff for the hole system or is that crazy? Looking for opinions and ideas. Thanks yall

2. Banned
    I don't think you can turn that style "off". The button is to reset them when they trip but I don't think they have a traditional on/off functionality.

3. Member
    Should I disconnect everything except the charge for winter storage? Or would it be a good idea to install a battery disconnect for everything? Thank you for the info too. I had my 86 for a while but always pushed them to turn off. Didn’t know it wasn’t supposed to work that way.

4. Member
    I had a 89 365V and installed a disconnect switch for the cranking battery and always unplugged the trolling motor from the front bow before charging.

You want to limit the breaks/connections to few as possible as they impede current flow.

I also had the switch fuse blocks and didn't add anything extra there.

Good luck!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

5. Member
    Thank you

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I use those breakers to shut off all the power to everything on my boat always have push in when launching and push out when done and on the trailer, worked for me for the last 16 years lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

7. Member
    We’ll see that’s what I did on my 86 373v. But this one 87 373v they don’t push out. Does this mean the breakers are bad? I mean so far everything seems to work well except the aerators but I still have to troubleshoot that.
    it even says in the owners manual that certain breakers should push off. But I just want to make sure they aren’t bad

I've since changed mine to a switchable circuit breaker but I'm pretty sure mine came with a push breaker and a toggle switch that controlled the dash.... I do always shut off power to the dash right after I put the boat on the trailer.

9. Member
    I don’t have the toggle breaker and I don’t think they came standard. But I am thinking about putting one in. I definitely want to be able to shut off power even if there doesn’t seem to be a draw on it. What type did you install and do you have any pics?

I’ll snap a picture later this afternoon…. Very simple swap.

12. Member
    Nice that does seem simple. Thank you

No problem at all, simple and it works. I believe 20amp breaker.