Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    drifter

I agree with your assessment of the current family institutional crisis in our country and many other countries. Sadly, most younger people are accustomed to the mixed family homes due to divorce, so many do not even consider marriage as a viable part of their lives.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Agree....some would argue that we are in the beginning stages of whats to come. Or is here....

Something I have always held to....the family is our basic unit in our society. Look at the near past (1800's and 1900's). What compromised the family unit and how did they interact. For a long time it was about subsistence farming and living. Families grew and prospered thru the years until both parents provided a living for the family. Moving forward to today....the family unit is in distress. Look at all the broken homes...look at how some people think it is the right thing to do, 2 men or 2 women raising a family. That is not what God intended for the family to be.

More and more people are pushing God away from their lives and the family. Most young people are not leery of this transformation because they are to young to recognize its appearance. Its nothing more than a process.....life will continue on, people will get involved in more "exotic" behaviors and the traditional family unit will suffer.
    I believe the changes we've seen are the results of economics and societal advancements. Go back just over a hundred years and look at family units. Were they more tightly bonded because they were adhereing to different values than today? Or did they just have fewer options and opportunities? I think it's the latter. There were no commercial flights for travel, most people didn't even have automobiles, few had telephones, no internet, etc. Subsistence farming was a necessity for most with basic survival being the goal. There simply was not the exposure to different ideologies, lifestyles, and all the other goood, bad, and ugly in the world like there is today. People lived more in seclusion regionally and within communities. Let's also acknowledge that while people today like to point to those times as being more pure, there were lots of skeletons that were never freed from family closets. Incest, abuse, adultry, unwed pregnancies, they all didn't start in the last 50 years, they were just dirty family secrets that everyone agreed to keep silent about to protect the family name. As I've seen it said here many times; "there's nothing new under the sun."

Economically, the changes in just the last 60 years are tremendous. In the 1950's and 60's, a man with just a high school education could work in the local factory and earn enough to live comfortably, buy a home, take a vacation with the family and pay the kids way through college while mom could stay at home fullly engaged with the kids, and have a comfortable pension for retirement. Now, even mom and dad with college degrees both have to work and often struggle to keep their financial heads above water. That's added stress that most baby boomers and silent gens didn't experience. In fact, those generations that shake their heads at gen X'ers and millenials are actually responsible for setting the table that we eat at today whether they admit it or not.

Then we have the obligatory reference to homosexuality as somehow being responsible for destroying the family unit. How? How does a gay couple down the street undo your christian household? If it does then you had major problems already and shouldn't be looking to blame anybody else. For some reason christians love to take on the appearance of delicate little snowflakes that melt away when exposed to anything or anybody not adhereing to their rules. weak
    Full blood Nikonian

3. Member
    Houston,

Though you present some very good points as to the untold horror stories, which still go on in some of the communities today, and the ' luxurious way of life' being pushed on society by those that are profiting the most. -Look at what is being exposed in the manipulation of Facebook to its users-, which in my opinion are contributing to the mom and dad with college degrees needing to both work so they can keep up with the Jones in the believe that more is better, yet still being very unhappy about their conditions and possessions.

What people enjoyed prior to the explosion of continuous advertising of glamorous vacations, cars, homes and many other unnecessary things, are looked as unfulfilling with 'lack of gratifying experiences', whatever those may be taking large amounts of hard earned income that could be properly used elsewhere with greater benefit to the family. Credit card debt is an all times high with interests as high as 30% compounded, which is criminal, yet these companies are getting away with it while I know some people still in prison under the RICO act for loan sharking.
    The added stresses in many cases are self inflicted with some that may have been accumulated by those high cost college degrees, which could have been minimized by going with a 2+2 programs many local colleges offer, or learning a skilled trade, which seem to be in great need today. I don't want to go on about the 300K+ first home, 1300$ cell phones or 500$ sneakers, and so on.

Yes, mom stayed at home to care for the family and us kids, which today is looked down by many women groups as unfulfilling or down right oppression, though, I and many others will forever be grateful to our mothers for having taken that time to teach and guide us through those difficult growing years. Most of the additional income earned by mothers today goes into paying for daycare and other things that mothers provided yet never looked at by many as great addition to the family, yet many mother seem to have cherished the time they got to spend with their children in the past several months due to the lock down.

With regard to sexual and gender preferences, God is very clear on these matters, so any argument there can be address to Him.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Houston,

Though you present some very good points as to the untold horror stories, which still go on in some of the communities today, and the ' luxurious way of life' being pushed on society by those that are profiting the most. -Look at what is being exposed in the manipulation of Facebook to its users-, which in my opinion are contributing to the mom and dad with college degrees needing to both work so they can keep up with the Jones in the believe that more is better, yet still being very unhappy about their conditions and possessions.

What people enjoyed prior to the explosion of continuous advertising of glamorous vacations, cars, homes and many other unnecessary things, are looked as unfulfilling with 'lack of gratifying experiences', whatever those may be taking large amounts of hard earned income that could be properly used elsewhere with greater benefit to the family. Credit card debt is an all times high with interests as high as 30% compounded, which is criminal, yet these companies are getting away with it while I know some people still in prison under the RICO act for loan sharking.
    The added stresses in many cases are self inflicted with some that may have been accumulated by those high cost college degrees, which could have been minimized by going with a 2+2 programs many local colleges offer, or learning a skilled trade, which seem to be in great need today. I don't want to go on about the 300K+ first home, 1300$ cell phones or 500$ sneakers, and so on.

Yes, mom stayed at home to care for the family and us kids, which today is looked down by many women groups as unfulfilling or down right oppression, though, I and many others will forever be grateful to our mothers for having taken that time to teach and guide us through those difficult growing years. Most of the additional income earned by mothers today goes into paying for daycare and other things that mothers provided yet never looked at by many as great addition to the family, yet many mother seem to have cherished the time they got to spend with their children in the past several months due to the lock down.

With regard to sexual and gender preferences, God is very clear on these matters, so any argument there can be address to Him.

I agree. The things you point out can be summed up as everybody trying to "keep up with the jones" as I've heard it put. It's societal peer pressure. But those temptations are easily resisted so it does come down to personal financial decisions. The reach for bigger and better for some people never ends, and it's a trap.

Exactly, and that's between them and him. It doesn't affect me or my family at all. Anybody trying to blame their family issues on somebody elses gender preference is just smoke screening.
    Full blood Nikonian

Took in all that was said and appreciate what was said. It can be summed up in one word ENVY. One of the capital sins and in my judgment the leading factor as to why mankind sins. Taking the word envy and applying it to our world and society it really makes sense. Why wouldn't it? Its only fitting that the sin of envy is prevalent in the world...everywhere. You can trace it back to Adam and Eve....why did they chose to partake of forbidden fruit? Take it back another step....Lucifer. He was envious of God and wanted to be like him. His total time was spent on SELF and what he could do for SELF....he envied God and his almightiness, ultimately causing his downfall.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12