2021 250 pro xs trim problem

Motor will not trim up. down works but not up. checked the switch on the side of the motor and it is not faulty. Cant seem to find any relay switches in the motor?? Any suggestions before i take it in?

2. Member
    One of my friends just had this issue on his 250 4 Stroke. His started with the set screw that holds the magnetic pin in that the computer gets its trim location from fell out. Got that repaired and then took two trips back to the shop to reset trim with the laptop attached. You can not resolve this issue without the Mercury Program. These 4 stroke trim systems are totally different than the old 2 strokes trim systems. The old 2 strokes had a king pin but these new 4 strokes have a magnetic pin thats held in by a screw and monitored by the computer.
    Just a side note for anyone with a new 4 stroke you should trim your motor up and remove the locking screw and put some Loctite on it and then put it back in.
    Keith Thomas
    2016 Nitro Z21
    Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Trim relays are located underneath the Starboard-Side Intake Runner. If trim works DOWN, but does not work from any switch in the UP position, it's either going to be a relay, or a wiring problem in the blue w/white-stripe wire (UP) circuit. Most likely somewhere between the 14-pin connector and the trim relays.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Keith,
    Thank you for the info. That was exactly the issue with the trim. The dealer called Mercury and they didnt even know about that problem. So i recomended it to the dealer and it solved the issue.
    Thanks again

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith6628 View Post
    Just a side note for anyone with a new 4 stroke you should trim your motor up and remove the locking screw and put some Loctite on it and then put it back in.
    INSPECTING this bolt to make sure it is present is always a prudent idea. DO NOT remove the bolt unless it is physically loose (NOTE: You may see space under the head of the screw, and even see threads as the bolt does not seat to the outer eyelet- it seats to the CROSSPIN in the middle).

Bolt works as a set-screw (that just happens to have an external hex-head design).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of this would you?
    Mark Walker- Smallmouth Country, MI
    Charger 210 Elite/ Mercury 250 4-Stroke

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not currently but I've seen several in the Fourstroke forum over the last year or two.

8. Member
    20231009_160403.jpg
    Mine fell out, cause all kinds of hell. Getting repaired now.
    Hope you catch a Big'un!

Bill Troha
    USAF Retired
    2021 Nitro Z20 Pro