Yamaha 3.3 HPDI Reed Modification

I've been reading about Yamaha big block modifications and see people talking about reed box modification. What's done to the reed box? Is it just carbon reeds?
    If more than just carbon reeds. How does it improve the performance?

2. Member
    Maybe Matt or Wayne can answer?

3. Member
    Anyone know?

4. Member
    Most of the reed modifications done now are just replacing reed valves after lapping the cages. The cage openings can be enlarged some but you have to know what you are doing and have the right reeds. Hydro tech can do the cages as well as Chris Carson. The hp gain is minimal though. Maybe 8 hp or so. On a hpdi… the throttle body spacer, big bore intake and velocity stacks are the best bet and are bolt on parts but to get the most from them, you have to increase the compression and open up the exhaust.
    Hope this helps. I’m no expert but owned a hpdi and did a lot of research to get the most from it. I put reeds and an exhaust on it. Gained 150 rpm’s from the exhaust and a smoother idle from the reeds.
    Nick McDaniel

5. Member
    Thank you Nick for the information.
    I currently have the high compression heads, exhaust tuner, lightweight flywheel, and no air silencer. Thinking about getting the big bore throttle body and spacer next year. The was just rebuilt and just finished the breaking in period. Just looking to get more out of it.