Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Pretty sure Don/Mercury doesn't recommend using a fuel/water separator filter.

2. Member

3. Member
    I was referring to the castle filter in vst which to my understanding is a fuel water separator filter.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trimguy View Post
    I was referring to the castle filter in vst which to my understanding is a fuel water separator filter.
    Sorry I misunderstood ya, yes change that while you are doing the fuel lines.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do yourself a favor: PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to the recommendations in the FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS (FAQ Section Post). Do EXACTLY, Precisely, and without substitution what it suggests. Any deviation will likely result in lost time and money.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    EuropeanAM: yes sir, all I lack is pulse pump. I pulled ten gal of fuel outta the tank this morn. I found the exact same junk in the gas tank that i found below fuel separator in vst. I've let the fuel settle for several hours so I'm gonna pull some more to see what I have left in there but, I will be pulling all old fuel out to get tank as clean as I can before new high octane and quickleen is added. What ratio of quickleen do you recommend for like a shock cleaning of the rest of fuel system? I am supposed to go thursday for flow test/clean injectors, vst/fuel pump(s) cleaning and I will get them to clean/rebuild the pulse pump also.

get tank as clean as I can before new high octane and quickleen is added. What ratio of quickleen do you recommend for like a shock cleaning of the rest of fuel system?
    Not sure about the shock treatment but your motor is designed to run on, and Mercury recommends 87 octane. You won't gain anything (and could actually create issues) by running "high" octane.

From the FAQ:

Fuel Selection:

Make your fuel selections based on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-High Traffic, Top-Tier (Name Brand) Fuel
    -Appropriate Octane Rating (see above info)
    -Lowest possible ethanol content (NEVER to exceed 10%).
    -While it may be preferable to utilize a fuel that contains lower (or no) ethanol, use of fuels that are SUBSTANTIALLY higher octane can result in decreased performance, decreased fuel economy, and potential for carbon buildup. Higher octane fuels burn SLOWER and COOLER.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And for a Standard Optimax, DON'T use high octane fuel. 87 octane is the specification for the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    87 octane "100%" gas Is what i run in it.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    87 octane "100%" gas Is what i run in it.
    Post # 26 was why I mentioned it:

Quote Originally Posted by Trimguy
    I'm gonna pull some more to see what I have left in there but, I will be pulling all old fuel out to get tank as clean as I can before new high octane and quickleen is added.

11. Member
    I was just being dramatic on the high octane lol, I just pumped 30 +/-2 gal of fuel outta that damn boat(lost count) lol, new lines all the way, all new filters, and then rest of fuel sys to be cleaned out thurs by duck river. How much yal think they hit me for, 1) rebuild/clean pulse pump, 2) service high & low fuel pump/ clean vst, 3) flow & service fuel inj. assuming no inj. need replacing? I know they could have to replace screens and gaskets etc. but I'm hoping it wont exceed $600ish . The boss will be with me and I wont even get to go out in boat again if thay clip me too bad. Lmao

12. Member
    They told me flow was 210 +1 hr labor, clean vst /pumps 1.5 hrs labor, just dont know if that included pulse pump and I know it didnt include any parts! So I'm gonna guess 210 + 3.5ish hrs labor + gaskets/parts.

13. Member
    I hate to burst your bubble and I hope I'm terribly wrong but that service would be well over 1k at the shop I use. I hope this gets ya all fixed up!

14. Member
    O my....... Ill be sleeping in the famn boat

15. Member
    Damn lol

16. Member
    Took boat out after replacing all fuel. Ran like a top for 15-20 min then wouldn't go over 5000 rpm hardly just as before. I really think my problem is in that vst tank, if it was a diaphragm in pump on the vst looks like it would exhibit other symptoms in various rpm range?

Took boat out after replacing all fuel. Ran like a top for 15-20 min then wouldn't go over 5000 rpm hardly just as before. I really think my problem is in that vst tank, if it was a diaphragm in pump on the vst looks like it would exhibit other symptoms in various rpm range?
    I would think an injector with a flow problem would be a constant issue. Did they do a spark test on the coils? It would be really handy to do one when the issue is occurring. Does the issue resolve after it sits for a certain amount of time?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Do yourself a favor: PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to the recommendations in the FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS (FAQ Section Post). Do EXACTLY, Precisely, and without substitution what it suggests. Any deviation will likely result in lost time and money.
    If you didn't follow those steps, there's a pretty high probability that you have debris in the pulse pump AND the fuel filter.

Sorry... I know the needle keeps jumping back to the same track, but it's apparently still to be done.

19. Member
    EuropeanAM- my step dad is bringing me a rebuild kit for pulse pump tonight. I am gonna take it in morning to shop. I was gonna have them flow test and clean injectors. Clean vst tank, replace screens on high and low pump. I will rebuild pulse pump when I get home. I may go ahead and get another filter to put in after i get the pulse pump rebuilt. In y'alls opinion if they do a fuel/air test AND they test 80/90 is the injector flow/cleaning unneccessary? I am also concerned since I know there has to be a little fuel in the tank I can't suck out: my logic tells me that this amount of fuel would be the most concentrated with debris. So I am gonna suck out what I can again and refuel again . No testing done by any professionals - spark or air/fuel. Had tech change hose that I could have done and changed spark plugs.

20. Member
    By the way, thank you everyone that posts on my thread. This is my second bass boat and my first one was ancient compared to this one, so I appreciate all the input from you guys and enjoy learning on the fly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast