Question Fall Smallmouth Bite Been Off Due to Warmer Weather?

Headed up north next week for Smallmouth trip. Wondering if this unusually warm weather has slowed things down? Any reports or past experience with this?

Thanks

2. Member
    In my limited trips it's been off. I've had good days on the big water, but nothing like it should be this time of year. The weather looks MUCH more normal this week, which should help. My fear is the fall bite will be a quick one this year. Good Luck.

3. dartag1829
    Heard it took 27 pounds to win the Monster Quest on St Clair last weekend. Guess they were biting somewhere.

4. Member
    we fished last weekend and they are in exactly the same spots they were in this summer.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

was just in tc for 4 days. fishing was abysmal.

6. Member
    Yeah first two days have been really bad going to try a different lake tomorrow and maybe this cold front will turn them on (have I ever said that?)

The bite on GT bay has been fine. In spite of the warmer than normal water temperatures (was 66f today on west bay) the fish have been moving to their normal fall spots. Must be more a matter of length of daylight than temperatures.
    like always there are good days and bad.
    I have been finding more fish on steep drop offs in about 35’ of water. They seem to prefer spots where they can move up and down easily in the fall. All the shallow fish that were there all summer seem to have moved out of the shallows and joined their companions out deeper. Unlike the inland lakes that seems to be normal on GT Bay in the fall. They can be hard to locate but once you do they seem to be on those deeper spots till the snow flies.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    Back from trip now. 2nd Lake was slightly better but still obvious they have not come up from deep summer holes for fall feed yet. Can't believe water temps were 65 up there.

I was definitely talking inland lakes and referring to the fall push to shallower water to feed up before winter. Where you can catch them on moving baits all day. Seems like I need to push my fall trips a few weeks later now.