Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    That could be the poppet valve opening and closing, which it does around that rpm, a video of the pressure gauge while it’s happening might help. And don’t rev it more than that.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Agreed- that's likely the poppet valve cycling since the pressure is right near the spring setpoint.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Alright thank you both once again. I ordered a bunch of parts from European Marine yesterday and am going to replace the water pump and the base. Will pull both cylinder heads and replace the gaskets since one is clearly leaking. I also ordered the exhaust divider plate gasket and seal and am thinking about replacing those while I am at it. Any tips on cleaning the gasket surfaces would be appreciated!

4. Member
    Pulled both cylinder heads and here is what I found. #5 clearly has issues. So is this what happens when a piece of the metal reeds breaks off?
    Port Cylinders.jpgStarboard Cylinders.jpg#2 cylinder.jpg#5cylinder B.jpg#5cylinder.jpg#5cylinder head.jpgStarboard Cyl Head.jpg
    Last edited by mac18; 02-04-2022 at 03:54 PM.

5. Member
    The imprints on #5 sure look like they're from needle rollers. I wouldn't think broken reeds would be so well defined as that. Will be interesting to hear what Don or Joe have to say.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    + 1 magnify top of piston looks like on broken piece stuck in top 12;10 oclock
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Makes sense now that you both point it out, those are pretty distinguishing marks. I am now wondering when this might have happened, seems like it would've made enough racket for me to notice. Maybe it was along time ago before I purchased the boat and everything was repaired except the sleeve of the #5 cylinder. There is one gouge in cylinder 5 which would explain the low compression, all the other cylinder walls look clean. Crazy because the last couple hours of run time it hasn't skipped a beat. Wouldn't things fall apart pretty quickly if one of the bearing assemblies lost a bearing? Thanks SilverFox and Joe
    Last edited by mac18; 02-06-2022 at 09:55 AM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If that's "just one" needle, it's the darn toughest one I've ever seen!

Seriously- it's possible, but there are a couple of those marks that appear to be "just the right length" to match a wrist-pin bearing needle. Can't imagine someone put it back together with that type of damage (well, I've actually seen something similar from a "rebuilder", so I probably shouldn't say that).

Also possible that someone was in the engine and replaced them- leaving one or more needles behind in the many nooks, crevices and hiding places around the sleeve (or inside the bottom of the piston).

I think I would have to pull that piston and investigate.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If that's "just one" needle, it's the darn toughest one I've ever seen!

Seriously- it's possible, but there are a couple of those marks that appear to be "just the right length" to match a wrist-pin bearing needle. Can't imagine someone put it back together with that type of damage (well, I've actually seen something similar from a "rebuilder", so I probably shouldn't say that).

Also possible that someone was in the engine and replaced them- leaving one or more needles behind in the many nooks, crevices and hiding places around the sleeve (or inside the bottom of the piston).

I think I would have to pull that piston and investigate.
    I certainly was surprised to see that when I pulled the cylinder head off! Appreciate the insight.

10. Member
    i agree others look like wrist pin bearings, id sho have to pull it apart and do some looking , hard to believe it had 100 lbs of comp still with that much damage , that mtr had to make some knocking sound at one time or another , they never cease to amaze me
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Yeah Joe it is hard to believe it still runs so well and is holding that much compression. Would the two photos showing someone painted "200 EFI" on one side of the block and "2 EFI" on the other indicate that the power head was removed or worked on? I wouldn't think they would paint that on like that at the factory. These are older pictures before I removed the idle stabilizer and detonation module.
    200EFI.jpg2EFI.jpg

12. Member
    i have seen this on many fac blocks yes , look at the split line of the block can you see any sealer like red gel or does it look untouched , head bolts look like untouched from here

13. Member
    Is this engine suppose to have water diverters? I don see them.

14. Member
    no to old , later model o ring mtrs use them

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    i have seen this on many fac blocks yes , look at the split line of the block can you see any sealer like red gel or does it look untouched , head bolts look like untouched from here
    Joe I don't see any sealer on the split line of the block it looks clean. Even the pry points don't have any chips in the paint. Put over 40 miles on it yesterday at the lake with no missing or bogging, it ran very well.

16. Member
    im blown away, how it would live amazed i have no answer sir , tear it down i gotta know

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    im blown away, how it would live amazed i have no answer sir , tear it down i gotta know
    I would if I had your skill!! lol

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Only other possibility would be a stray needle inside the block somewhere... that finally found it's way loose.

I've seen it happen, but never seen one stay "hidden" for 25 years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123