18 ft Nitro jackplate upgrade

I have an 18 ft Nitro nx882 with a merc 175 2 stroke efi, the boat still has the non adjustable 6" jackplate from the tracker factory and I was considering getting an adjustable plate. Right now my boat will do around 60mph empty running a 25 tempest with no rooster tail. Would it be advantageous to have adjustablity in the jack plate?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    I would think so, motor height has just as much effect as set back, you should be able to run 65 empty...

3. Member
    Should I be seeing a rooster tail at WOT?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

4. Pat Goff
    Setup basics.
    1. NEVER setup empty, that's not how you're going to use it, so what it does empty is of no concern. Full tanks, two people, NOW what's it doing?
    2. Your goal: At WFO, you're at the TOP of your rpm range, boat is a little loose, not stuck to the water. Steering is a little firm, not numb and not taking two hands to turn left. Water breaks straight back, nothing out the sides.
    If it's not doing THAT, then what exactly is it doing? Internet diagnostics only works when given enough details.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member
    Most likely an adjustable jackplate will help but RPM at WOT is just as important to know as MPH at WOT to help you know where to set height. I would think there will be a small rooster when adjusted and propped correctly.
    Last edited by bware; 10-10-2021 at 12:09 PM.

6. Pat Goff
    After you do a few hundred of these silly boats, you can spot patterns.
    Some of the ones that make you face palm...
    My boat only goes 62.
    Is that full power/full trim?
    Oh no, it get loose and I have to slow down.
    YOU only go 62 then.

I've got a 19' sledcraft with a 200 turning a 25 prop it's set here, it's only doing 4,900 rpms. at a stupid slow speed.
    You are running on five cylinders.
    I did a compression test.
    That only tells you if you're blown.
    I did a compression test.....

Why you have to pry out details.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    Must be a slow hull then, I had a ranger 461vs with a 175 efi, it would do 65 all day long with me and a quarter tank

8. Member
    I am fine with the ride, but I am sure there is some tweaking that could be done, just looking at some upgrade options instead of buying a boat in this pricey market
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

9. Member
    Just put a Bob's jackplate 10" on my Z119. Scraped a prop on launch in Wisconsin and strip mine near me this year and getting a little tired of it so will have plenty to play with next spring. Not to worried about squeezing every last 1/10th mph out of it just wanted a new toy and get into skinnier water.

What a JP does on a Ranger has little to no bearing on a Nitro. The NX series I believe was limited to a 6” jackplate as their transoms are not the most solid. The NX882 is not known to be a speed demon. All you can do is try but performance may or may not improve. It is your $.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 10-21-2021 at 04:26 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    What a JP does on a Ranger has little to no bearing on a Nitro. The NX series I believe was limited to a 6” jackplate as their transoms are not the most solid. The NX882 is not known to be a speed demon. All you can do is try but performance may or may not improve. It is your $.
    Interesting...I have never heard any information about the NX line of Nitro. I am guessing it wasn't very popular due to the size. I did speak with a guy who owns the same model and he said a Nitro engineer spoke highly of the boat because it was made with thicker fiberglass than newer Nitros today....don't know if thats true or not.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

12. Pat Goff
    And the lack of knowledge about fiberglass construction continues.

Never ever equate thick with strong. Or heavy with strong.
    What makes a fiberglass laminate strong is the ratio of actual fiberglass materials to resin. Resin binds the materials together but has no strength on its own. It takes a lot more labor to build a resin light layup than a heavy. But if I was selling the heavy I’d tell you it was better.

Almost as big a lie as no rot all composite.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    I have an 18 ft Nitro nx882 with a merc 175 2 stroke efi, the boat still has the non adjustable 6" jackplate from the tracker factory and I was considering getting an adjustable plate. Right now my boat will do around 60mph empty running a 25 tempest with no rooster tail. Would it be advantageous to have adjustablity in the jack plate?
    Are you coming down towards Altanta any time soon? I have a buddy who has a new 6" Slidemaster manual adjustable plate. He swapped it out for a hydraulic plate. It was mounted but never used. It is black if I recall properly. It would be much cheaper than a new one. I know he would let it go for $200.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s