2008 Mercury Optimax 200hp, how to get trim?

I have a 2008 Optimax 200hp. Right now my boat doesn't have a trim gauge. I want to replace the speedo with a trim gauge. What cable do I need from the motor and what type of trim gauge should I get?

Serial no: 1B537103

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Most Speedometers are 3-3/8" diameter (hole size) gauges. Trim gauges are 2-1/8" hole size.

Check your trim sending unit wiring, and determine whether you have a brown w/white stripe wire, OR three wires (yellow, blue and black). This determines the type of instrument the sending unit can drive.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Most Speedometers are 3-3/8" diameter (hole size) gauges. Trim gauges are 2-1/8" hole size.

Check your trim sending unit wiring, and determine whether you have a brown w/white stripe wire, OR three wires (yellow, blue and black). This determines the type of instrument the sending unit can drive.
    Thanks for the reply Don, I'll get on it right away.

4. Member
    I'm not sure if I got the right component. Looks like a yellow and black wire coming out of this thing which I THINK is the trim sending unit? Couldn't find the blue one. I tried tracing the wires from the trim switch but got lost in the harnesses. Am I on the right track?

Usf6jCQ.jpg

sNBkKSU.jpg

5. Member
    Doing my research and it seems I am completely off. Where is this brown w/white wire usually located. Engine serial number: 1B537103

If your motor is set up like mine, there is a wire bundle at the starboard front of the motor. The brown/white wire connects to a bullet connector on the starboard side of the motor.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Look at the FRONT/Starboard corner of the engine, Trim wiring (both analog and digital) often drape across the top of the oil pump and hang down into the cowling in this area.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    got it, boat's in storage so I will have to take a look tmrw. I assume because I don't have a trim gauge, these wires will not be connected to anything.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There SHOULD still be a trim sender there. And it would normally be connected (regardless of whether you have a gauge).

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There SHOULD still be a trim sender there. And it would normally be connected (regardless of whether you have a gauge).
    Confirmed, brown and white wire not connected to anything. So does this mean I can connect this directly to an analog gauge? Or do I still need to buy a trim sending harness?
    Last edited by th365thli; 10-27-2021 at 08:27 PM.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Connect the brown w/white stripe wire coming from the analog sender, to the brown w/white stripe wire that hangs over the oil pump.

You can then operate an ANALOG gauge.

OR... for Smartcraft usage, order a Digital Trim Sender (Rhonda can set you up, see her post, pinned at the top of the Forum for contact info).