2021 Z19 Pro w. Mercury Pro XS 200 4 Stroke First Anniversary Review

First picture is on it's first birthday. We wipe it down after every use. We took delivery of our Z19 Pro on October 7, 2020. We ordered it July 30, 2020. I picked out a few options, custom Red,White & Blue colors, passenger console, travel cover, anti-fatigue mat, driver side cleat, auto-bilge pump, x-grip phone holder and the dealer installed the vessel view module. I have since added a few things. Starting with a 10" Helix 4GN DI at the bow, mounted on a Bass Boat Technologies dual mount along with the original 8" Helix. We also installed a Dexter E-Z Flex Tandem equalizer kit. Installed a remote drain plug and Loc-R-Bar. I replaced the metal diamond plate on top of the fenders with rubber no-slip pads. I installed a simple velcro strap to replace the useless passenger rod strap. I installed a pair of LED back up lights on the trailer to help back down my long driveway. The boat also has a name: "Freedom!" to go along with the custom colors.

After one year of frequent use, the Pro XS has 94 hours on it. It has been pretty much flawless. It starts instantly, idles smoothly and is very responsive. It is very quiet, we can have a conversation while cruising down the lake. It has great mid-range power and sets you back into the seat when you punch it from mid-range speeds. Perhaps a better indicator of use would be the 582 hours on the console Humminbird Helix 8. I can say I am very happy with the boat. I am very happy with the 24v 80 lb thrust Ultrex. The power steering is very quick and I love the spot-lock With the I-pilot link you can "jog" left-right or forward or back either through the Humminbird unit or bluetooth remote feature. I also use the Constant on & Nav features. Makes it very easy to fish down a bank without a foot on the trolling motor. Having it linked to the Humminbird graphs and GPS is a great feature. With the Lakemaster map software, you can set it to follow a contoure, though I have not used that very much. I like the hand-held control, but have not used it very much either. Both the Pro XS and the Ultrex have been trouble free and work as expected.

Issues: It has been mostly trouble free. Bass Pro Shops in Rocklin, CA replaced the Interstate 31 Series AGM cranking battery after about 4 months, it is beginning to act up again. The fuel gauge sticks at just under 3/4 of a tank, fortunately I can keep track of my fuel with Vessel View. That's it. Everything else has worked as expected.

Performance: It has a Fury 23 pitch prop and I have the motor set at 3.5 inches below the pad. With the boat lightly loaded and just me in it I have seen 68 mph at 5850 rpm. More routinely it will run 64-65 mph at 5680 rpm. But most of the time I cruise around at 50-55. At those speeds it really sips fuel. The boat really jumps up on plane and accelerates quickly. The sweet spot for trim is just above the first mark or 1/4 of the gauge. At that setting I am even able to make pretty tight turns without a problem. I find the boat easy to drive, I have not experienced much chine walk, but I am not trying to squeeze every mph out of it. It is sensitive to trim between 35-40 mph. If you over trim, it wants to porpoise a little. I am very impressed with the rough water ride. It will cruise in a white capping 2 foot chop at 50-55 mph without beating us up. I credit some of that to the seats, they are well cushioned and give excellent support. Because of the hull design, that pushes spray outwards, it also has a very dry ride. I have arrived back at the ramp completely dry while I have seen people in other boats come in soaked. I fish a lot with my 71 year old wife and she also agrees that the boat rides well and has yet to tell me to slow down or take it easy.

Storage: I love the layout of the boat. With the tackle storage system in the center box I am able to easily able to keep track of my frequently used tackle, Then less often used stuff goes in the driver side box along with life vests, rain gear, paddle and other misc. stuff. It came with rod storage system. I removed the rod tubes, but kept the butt holders. Using rod sleeves I have had up to 20 rods in there. The cooler is great/huge and I love the trash can and sandwich tray. In fact, it is almost too big. They could have lowered the top of it about 3-4 inches and still have plenty of room in it. That would also make the step up to the front deck easier. One of my older fishing partners complains about how high the step/cooler top is. The glove box is also huge, we call it the cavern. I got a 3 x 6 open plastic box and velcro'd it against the front wall to put wallets, phones and keys in. Otherwise they get lost in there. I really like the lift out rear boxes and I especially like the way the rear storage compartments open front to back instead of middle to side. That makes it much easier to access the contents from outside or inside the boat. The tray under the step between the seat is perfect for glasses, gloves, face masks and other small stuff. It lifts out to access the top of the fuel tank and all the fittings too. I am not all that thrilled with the passenger rod storage. I would prefer horizontal slots to the individual rod butt holes. And as previously mentioned, the rod hold down strap is useless.

Maintenance: I like the wiring channels in the gunnels, I used them when I installed the additional Helix. The Humminbird network switch in the driver side front box is also easy to access. I also like the way you access the fuses and dash wiring by removing 4 thumbscrews and lifting off the windscreen. No more laying on your back trying to squeeze under the console. In the battery compartment I like the hinged door that gives access to all the pumps and the bilge without messing with the batteries. This was helpful when I installed the remote drain plug.

Fit and finish: The gelcoat is good, I have found one small area where it is a little wavy, buy it is mostly very good. The carpet is well fitted to all the edges and well trimmed inside all the compartment lids. The carpet inside of the front side compartments could be finished a little cleaner, but that is out of sight most of the time. I found some clear adhesive plastic to shield the gelcoat in the splash well from the steering hoses and wiring tube. Would have been nice, and not too expensive, for Nitro to do that.

Livewells: I don't fish many tournaments any more. When I have had a need to use them, the livewells have worked very well and the TH Marine culling clips are very nice. I especially like the pump out system that uses the recirculation pumps and the push-pull aerator nozzle to switch between recirc and pump out.

Trailer: I love the 6 year maintenance free trailer hubs, so far so good with those. It is a little noisy with clunks and pops in tight turns, even with the EZ-flex. It pulls easily and tracks down the road well. I think the metal step plates should be rubber or vinyl, so I changed mine. It is very easy to unload and load the boat, as long as you have it in the water the right depth. I prefer the metal fenders to fiberglass, much easier to step on an more durable. The finish on the trailer is just about bullet proof. I had to sand it some in order to get some required mussel stickers to stick to it. I really like the bow steps up into the boat and the swing-away tongue, The 4 wheel disk brakes work extremely well. I have made couple very hard stops and they do the job.

Cover: Fits well, stays tight even when towing. Keeps thing dry inside.

Value: We are very happy with the boat. We were out the door for $54,454. That includes a 7 year "hitch to prop" warranty, all prep and delivery charges, taxes and registration. Comparing to other brands, I would have spent anywhere from $7-15k more for a similar boat that may not perform as well or have some of the innovative features.

Wow, this got long, hope it is helpful to others.

Cheers

Pat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 10-12-2021 at 11:20 AM.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

2. Member
    Good write up, Pat. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Glad you are enjoying the boat. My Z18 has been pretty much flawless so far.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

3. Member
    Good read! Thanks for writing.

Which clear adhesive plastic did you go with to shield the gel coat from the tube? Having the same issue.

And yes, even with the dexter kit, I hear that occasional “clink” and “pop” on my trailer with sharp turns, particularly in reverse. Sounds like the coupler to me.

4. Member
    Great write up. I imagine mine will be similar other than I have 2 Helix 12’s, still messing with my motor/prop setup due to elevation, and I spent a bit more due to a custom build and Nitro’s price increase. 3 weeks in, have 16 hours on the motor (closer to 50-60 hrs fishing) and absolutely love the boat.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZcal2021 View Post
    Good read! Thanks for writing.

Which clear adhesive plastic did you go with to shield the gel coat from the tube? Having the same issue.
    Here is the plastic/vinyl I used. You get enough to do several boats!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075F9KVM8...roduct_details
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

6. Member
    Terrific write up! Love the name. I have a silver and black with navy blue on top, I was thinking of "Blue Balls" Wife prolly not gonna like it.

The BBC should use your story for those looking into Nitro's

Thanks for taking your time with the pro's and cons of Nitros.

A few weeks ago I stopped at the Rocklin BPS to order my passenger console and seen a new boat with rubber pads in lieu of the metal diamond plates.

One con I have that I have seen here is nuts and bolts and screw coming loose. The other day I had a screw driver in hand and was walking around the boat and for the giggles. put the screwdriver on the screws holding the side plates of the trolling motor, shocked to see how loose they were. Glad I did that.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrebass View Post
    Terrific write up! Love the name. I have a silver and black with navy blue on top, I was thinking of "Blue Balls" Wife prolly not gonna like it.

The BBC should use your story for those looking into Nitro's

Thanks for taking your time with the pro's and cons of Nitros.

A few weeks ago I stopped at the Rocklin BPS to order my passenger console and seen a new boat with rubber pads in lieu of the metal diamond plates.

One con I have that I have seen here is nuts and bolts and screw coming loose. The other day I had a screw driver in hand and was walking around the boat and for the giggles. put the screwdriver on the screws holding the side plates of the trolling motor, shocked to see how loose they were. Glad I did that.
    Thank you Andre and others. I thought a one year, later rather than a couple weeks, would be a good time fore a review. Good to see they have changed to the rubber pads. I sent a suggestion and pictures through their local rep. Sometimes they listen! Mine is going in for annual service next month, I will check out the new ones for ideas. Those screws on the Ultrex side plates do come loose. A little Loctite or silicon is probably a good idea. I need to go around my trailer and check fasteners too.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

8. Member
    I didn't like the metal plates on the trailer fenders either. Here's my replacement option. I posted this before so my apologies for being a repeat. I just like them so doing it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

9. Member
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dilling View Post

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dilling View Post

Yes, thanks. My order is due in tomorrow along with a set of lid pulls to replace the pull straps that Nitro uses for opening the livewell lids on the Z18's.
    Jim

11. Member
    Realized I did not include anything about the Mercury Pro XS or Minnkota Ultrex. I have edited those in.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    I didn't like the metal plates on the trailer fenders either. Here's my replacement option. I posted this before so my apologies for being a repeat. I just like them so doing it again.
    Those really look awesome. How well do they stay clean? What was the source for them again? Is there a choice of colors?
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

13. Member
    I put them on in June and so far no staining and the sticky backs are holding really tight. The material is SeaDek which I think is the same stuff Nitro and other boat mgf's use for the optional flooring in the cockpit. I have seen complaints of staining with spills but so far mine have stayed clean. I do try not use them as a step and instead use the steps in front and back of my fender. I have occasionally stepped on them and could see an imprint of the dirt on the bottom of my shoe but it washed off. It's kind of a spongy material but does not seem to absorb water. I'm not sure about colors as I wanted gray and black which was what they had at the time. I think the company makes them from scrap material left over from other jobs. I paid $40 in June plus $10 shipping. They came from Sign Designs in Lawrenceburg, TN. www.tnwraps.com. The size I ordered was 7" X 30" which was a little larger than the old aluminum treads. I did lightly sand the fender coating to help with adhesion.
    Last edited by jtrac; 10-12-2021 at 02:36 PM.
    Jim

14. Member
    Thanks!!
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired