2008 225 - Black oily fluid in spark plug cavities

Model # :E225DHLSCF
    Serial # :05221394

On my last trip out, I had a check engine light come on and the motor went into limp mode. It restarted fine and ran fine to the ramp. I'll find out what that code is when I'm able to hook it up to EV diag. This post is for the black oily fluid I found in the spark plug cavities when I gave things a quick look in the parking lot. I've attached two pictures where you can hopefully see the fluid in the bottom of the cavities. Also attached is a picture of a plug the following morning, the fluid on the threads looks to be the same as what I was seeing on the outside.

I assume this isn't normal. Any thoughts on where to dig? I haven't been having running problems. The exhaust pressure fitting was cleaned last year, though the hose back to the EMM had a little junk in it. It wasn't obstructed as far as I could tell. Would junk in that tube cause this issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Stratos 200XL - 225 Etec HO

2. Member
    Looks normal to me
    Lowrance Pro-Staff
    Picasso Outdoors
    PowerTeam Lures
    Red Dirt Baits
    Boing Lures
    E Custom Baits
    Full Throttle Tackle

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    03 250 DFI and the same here......it's normal....

4. Member
    Thanks guys! I won't worry about that then. Now just to dig into that check engine code.

5. Member
    Water temp, oil injector/pressure fault, and alternator current or EMM temp above expected range can trigger the SLOW (Speed Limiting Operational Warning) mode.
    "Life's too short for an ugly boat!"
    1985 totally refurbished Pro-Line 21A Cuddy - 175hp Evinrude FFI

6. Member
    Had a stored code 17, 55V circuit below range. Found a damaged wire coming off the stator that may be a cause for my problem. The stator resistance tested good. I don't have the equipment for the other stator test and the charging system tests per the service manual. The magnets on the flywheel also look good. I'm going to fix up the wire damage, take a good look at the capacitor, and take it out to the lake next week.