Thread: Talons on TR186

Talons on TR186

Currently running a 23P B&B by Croxton, contemplating adding two talons (cheap deal from a friend). Anyone running dual talons on the 186? I'll probably need to drop down to a 22 or 21p prop after. I'm pretty heavy now anyway, 3 31series, tons of gear etc. Thoughts or advise?

how does preformance suffer or change, not into speed, but would still like the response if needed.

Sorry xr6 motor, serial number can't be read anymore. 2005 Model
    Last edited by tableorcktrtion; 10-14-2021 at 05:02 PM.

2. Member
    Talons killed the holeshot on my tr196dc. Tested numerous props…..solution was a $140 ss cb marine foil. Fixed holeshot, allowed me to plane at 16-17 mph & was a lot cheaper than a new prop.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

What size engine are you running on your TR186? My brother had a TR186 with a Honda 150 and he had major issues planning off after adding two talons. He ended up partially solving the issue with switching to lithium batteries and playing around with props etc. , but was not totally satisfied, so he repowered his boat with a new 4 stroke 175 Merc.

My boat is a TR196 powered with a Merc 200 Optimax, 26 Pitch Tempest prop. I added two talons and although I could tell a little difference in my hole shot, the 200 Merc had no issues at all getting out of the hole quickly etc. I did switch to Lithium batteries later to get rid of some weight in the back, but my boat had no issues even before doing so. If you are running a 2 stroke you probably won't have the issues my brother did, and especially if yours is a 175 horse.

I have a TR185 single console (same hull as the 186) with twin pro series 2 power poles. Merc 150 Xr6 23P tempest plus and a 6" manual jackplate, unsure about P2P. Front heavy tournament load1 group 31 cranking battery and 2 group 29 trolling motor batteries.

Top speed 61.9 mph but after some lovebumps on my prop, the top I have seen since was 58.5 at a little more than 5400 RPM.

Holeshot is only bad when I have a tournament partner and a livewell full of water. Just me and empty livewells I have a great holeshot. This hull seems to be pretty weight sensitive.

With that said, I would recommend going with the 22p if you are going to have a tournament load and livewells full. I know talons and brackets weigh more than power poles.

5. Member
    Wow i woudld have imaginged the talons being lighter due to no pump... maybe i'll consider the others. Any issues getting the pump in the bildge area? THanks all.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tableorcktrtion View Post
    Wow i woudld have imaginged the talons being lighter due to no pump... maybe i'll consider the others. Any issues getting the pump in the bildge area? THanks all.
    I have two power pole blades. I put a thin plate, aluminum street sign. From starting battery to trolling batteries. It spans the area where your bilge pumps are. You can still access the bilge pumps and it’s a sturdy way to mount power pole pumps. My hole shot is probably a little worse with the poles, but not bad enough to make me want to take them off. I think it’s the drag from the brackets more so than the weight. A hole shot plate might help with that.

7. Member
    I had one on my 2000 TR186DC running a 24" Trophey. With the bracket it adds about 100 #s for each talon and holeshot wasn't too bad. I don't think I would have liked the performance loss if I had two Talons.
    The mounting of the Talon was almost maxxed out in the furthest most up position to keep from skipping/catching in rough water. Ended up removing it as it needs to get repaired but don't think it's going back on. Only really used it at the dock and rarely for fishing as I mostly fish off-shore structure and weedlines.

Quote Originally Posted by tableorcktrtion View Post
    Yeah, the brackets that are needed to mount the talons are pretty heavy. As I recall, I think each Talon and bracket setup adds approx 60~70 lbs per side i.e., 120 lbs or so for two (but don't quote me on that as I have slept since doing the research a couple of years ago when I installed mine). If you switch to Lithium batteries, you can easily offset the bulk of the weight adder of the Talons.

9. Member
    8' Power pole Pro Series II with pump included is 26lbs. Talon is 38lbs.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66