Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New California Boat Registration Renewal and Mussel Stickers Payment Requirements

If you mail in your boat registration payment this year you will have to pay for the $16 mussel stickers online as a different transaction. You won't be able to mail in $36 and pay for both the CF stickers and mussel stickers as in the past. You can get both the CF and mussel stickers if you renew online or go in to DMV in person. You can also get both stickers at a AAA office if you're a member. I was told to wait for 60 days or less before 12/31/2021 if done at the AAA office. Included with lakes, you need a mussel sticker if you fish in the San Joaquin and Sacramento River Delta system.
    Last edited by smokewagon; 10-11-2021 at 07:18 AM.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

2. Member
    I renew online usually, last one I went to AAA to get new plates. The woman asked if my truck was a work truck and told me to apply for a reduction in rates because it isn't. DMV was shocked that I knew anything about this. Years ago I had asked why we had to pay commercial rates and DMV said all trucks have to have this in order to haul anything in the back.
    AAA is saving me $100 on fees yearly.

So glad I moved out of that state.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    I just sent mine in and added the Quagga sticker fee,sent 36$$We will see what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    I just sent mine in and added the Quagga sticker fee,sent 36$$We will see what they do.
    I hope it works for you Dave.
    Mercury 175 ProXS

6. Member
    I did mine on line for both and got my stickers in4 days.
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

7. Member
    Just another ploy too make it harder for everybody that owns a boat too enjoy the outdoors !!
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gambler View Post
    Just another ploy too make it harder for everybody that owns a boat too enjoy the outdoors !!
    Hopefully paying by mail to get both the CF and mussel stickers will get straightened out next year. I was told in the past the salt water guys had to get some sort of exemption at DMV to not have to pay for the mussel sticker. This year they just mail in $20 and their set. I hope I'm wrong about not being able to mail in $36 to get both CF and mussel stickers for the people that have done that. I also don't want the bass guys to just mail in $20 and get a ticket if checked. The $20 was different from the past so I read all the fine print. It read fresh water guys need a mussel sticker which can be obtained online, pretty straight forward. Directly after it read, while the mussel sticker is still required, you are not required to purchase the mussel sticker with your registration (confusing). I called DMV to find out if I could mail in $36 as before. Like everywhere else, I knew the wait time for an agent would be long. I put the phone on speaker and checked out what was going on BBC and Western Bass. After 10 minutes a recording said wait times are long and try later, then hung up on me . More companies are telling you to call back and hanging up if you choose to wait it out. It will be AAA for me, after next week.
    Last edited by smokewagon; 10-28-2021 at 08:29 AM.
    Mercury 175 ProXS

9. Member
    So, if you fish clear lake only all you need is their county sticker ??
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gambler View Post
    So, if you fish clear lake only all you need is their county sticker ??
    Your joking right. If not, you need the $16 California mussel sticker, the one you've been getting every year with the CF sticker, required since 2014 if you fish for bass, along with the Lake County mussel sticker.
    Last edited by smokewagon; 10-30-2021 at 08:06 AM.
    Mercury 175 ProXS

DMV instructions for purchase of the mussel sticker:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/news-a...ed-separately/
    Mercury 175 ProXS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokewagon View Post
    I hope it works for you Dave.
    They cashed my 36 dollar check we will see what they send.

13. Member
    I called my local AAA office and listened to a very long recorded message detailing all of the boat and off road vehicle stickers they can provide . Never mentioned the quagga sticker so I just purchased them online thru the DMV which took less time than listening to the AAA recording .

[QUOTE=DaveBrabec;12158272]They cashed my 36 dollar check we will see what they send.[/QUOTE

DMV is stating they won't do it, but hopefully they will, since they cashed your check.
    Mercury 175 ProXS

15. Member
    They sent my registration and a refund of 16$

16. Member
    Ordered it this morning (11-13) pretty painless and efficient for a government website .

17. Member
    Quagmire stickers............ giggidy

18. Member
    Stopped at AAA Friday, got registration and mussel sticker and on my way within 10 minutes. Good to go again

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Stopped at AAA Friday, got registration and mussel sticker and on my way within 10 minutes. Good to go again

Mercury 175 ProXS

20. Member
    Went online, paid paid for both items no problem... Come about 2 wks or so later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast