Suttons Bay in the Fall??

Heading up to stay in a house on Lake Leelanau for a week next week. I've fished that lake before this time of year without much luck. Usually head to the southern most part of the lake.

I was thinking this year I might head over to Suttons Bay. Will I find many smallmouth this time of year in that Bay? Never fished the west arm of grand traverse bay before. Not looking for any secret spots, just wondering if there's enough for some fun numbers.

2. Member
    You could fish Leelanau all year long and not have much luck!!! Just kidding some people smash them out there, but it's not me!

Bay in the fall is Chris Davis if you're a baseball fan. It's either a strike out or 450' home run. I'd focus on the Bay if I was you.

2 weeks ago on LLat the fall open it took 24#for 1st place. It’s a matter of finding them. LL is famous for being hot one day and shut off the next.
    A buddy killed them on the point at he mouth of Sutton’s last week butinever found much inside the bay. Nothing new there.
    Have a killer spot up at North Port but can’t get there on many days.
    Wasout on West bay this afternoon and the bite was really spotty. Caught 5 fish but one was 5#. It was heavily overcast and trying to rain. The bite was about what I expected. It’s usually much better in the am. Sunshine is a plus.
    like always you have to fish the wind if you want to find active fish. They like the wind blowing in.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

4. Member
    Thanks for all the responses and messages. I was able to hit both the bay and LL. Totally struck out on Leelanau, but will be back. Want to hit spend some more time on the Northern side next time. As for Sutton Bay, was able to find some bait on the graph at the point but couldn't get anything to bite. I'll give it a shot again next year. That area has my number though.