New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

New axle would you leave alone or paint it or ????

Just installed a new axle on my Ranger trailer would you paint it or coat it with undercoating or something it is galvanized so wondering just leave it alone and carry on???
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

If galvanized, I'd leave it as is. I have a galvanized utility trailer that sits outside and has not shown any signs of corrosion.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    That is what I was planning to do but wanted to check heard paint doesn't stick well to galvanized metal
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

4. Member
    You can wipe it down with acetone to remove the oils and paint with a primer for galvanized metal and then paint to match trailer.

Since it is down under and not very visible, I would just get a pint can of each and brush it so you don't have to worry about over spray on the boat/trailer.

Good luck

5. Member
    The Ranger axles are galvanized ...... AND THEY coat them overtop too (meaning with Ranger RoadArmor)!

The reason I know is b/c my replacement axles had the coating 'scuffed' on them when I got them. Both were galvanized under the coating.

Duplicolor Truck Bedliner in a rattle can is an almost PERFECT match for Ranger RoadArmor Trailers ...... just FYI.

Hope it helps.
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci