Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

20.3 update and now i have problem

Updated Active Target and two Live 9 units to 20.3 update. I had the 20.1 before update. everything worked good until the update. Now the pointer is on he left side of the screen, and does not point in the direction of the transducer( when the pointer was on the right side it pointed in the same direction as transducer) on the active target screen I am only getting a picture on the first 2 inches of the screen. can someone tell me what i can do to fix this issue. TIA

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Save your WAY POINTS to a card and try a HARD RESET.

3. Member
    Question on reset: with two units, can i leave the console unit off and reset the bow unit. will this keep everything in the console unit and clear the bow unit. I'll still have to update the bow unit,and i'm not sure if it will do the same thing as the first update.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnut1 View Post
    Question on reset: with two units, can i leave the console unit off and reset the bow unit. will this keep everything in the console unit and clear the bow unit. I'll still have to update the bow unit,and i'm not sure if it will do the same thing as the first update.
    Yes it will.

Maybe you need compass calibration?..

Albakore 600
    Yama 200
    Motorguide xi5
    Carbon 16
    SS3D
    Active target
    Sonarhub+AI3IN1
    Point
    This is not enough)

6. Member
    OK, so I did the hard reset and then installed the 20.3 back into the unit along with the 20.3 for Active Target. still having problems. icon for direction faces 180 from the way the transducer is pointed and I only get a picture of about 45 degrees. Before the update I would get a full screen as it should be. My next question, is, can I revert back to the 20.1 update in this unit. with the 20.1 it worked fine.

7. Member
    That is why I am afraid of up-dates! If it's not broke, don't fix it!
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

8. Member
    Before being afraid of updates, I would find out if this is an isolated incident or not. I have not heard of any complaints about the 20.3 update. If there are problems with it, it would be nice if more people could bring it up.

To the OP, check on the bow 9 that your Point 1 is selected as the source of heading info. Pointer on the left side was one of the expected updates. People didn't like it out in the field of view so Lowrance changed it. A functional heading sensor is required for the icon to point correctly. Hence, check that your Point 1 is still selected.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

9. Member
    +1. There is nothing wrong with 20.3 and I have been running it with zero problems since the day it came out. As NoCAL said, you need to go through all of your settings after doing the hard reset, and most likely your problem is not running the Point-1 for heading on the global setting.

Updates are not the problem; changed settings (sometime caused by the update) and not restoring them properly is the problem.
    ciao,
    Marc

10. Member
    Maybe someone can help me out with this. I went to settings,network,devices to pull up the point one. Point one does not show up on this page. Am I missing something.TIA

11. Member
    Make sure your network is powered correctly.. Turn the whole boat off. Disconnect the Point 1, reconnect it. Turn on boat power. Access the network again and go to the data sources menu again. If you are not seeing your Point I, that completely explains your direction icon on AT.

NoCAL
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    +1. There is nothing wrong with 20.3 and I have been running it with zero problems since the day it came out. As NoCAL said, you need to go through all of your settings after doing the hard reset, and most likely your problem is not running the Point-1 for heading on the global setting.

Updates are not the problem; changed settings (sometime caused by the update) and not restoring them properly is the problem.
    MARC do you have to have a point 1 on your boat to get the active target working properly. at the moment i only have the gps in the two lives . still waiting on the active target to get here. but now worried if i dont have a point 1 then it may not work right???

13. Member
    The AT will function correctly other than the icon showing the direction of the beam. If mounted correctly you can infer this from the direction the troller is pointing. For the icon to function correctly and point the direction of the beam, there must be a heading sensor on a NMEA network that it can access for heading data.

Just as an FYI, there is not a single device or upgrade to my system that I use more than the Point 1. I would gladly give up Sidescan to keep the Point 1 if I had too. Now, if you are basically fishing banks and never hit offshore waypoints, that's a different story and a heading sensor may not be as critical.

NoCAL
    2B112175

14. Member
    Do you have a Ghost trolling motor? Flip your AT transducer to the other side of the trolling motor shaft.

15. Member
    Followed Nocal's directions. Power off to boat. unhook Point 1. reconnect Point 1, power up , turn on finder. go to Device List and Point 1 still does not show up on the list.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnut1 View Post
    Followed Nocal's directions. Power off to boat. unhook Point 1. reconnect Point 1, power up , turn on finder. go to Device List and Point 1 still does not show up on the list.
    Well you are getting closer to solving your problem.

The next thing I would do is unplug your NMEA 2000 backbone Tee that the Point-1 connects to, and either substitute a new Tee, or alternatively plug your Point-1 cable into a different Tee on your backbone that you know is good. The goal is to determine if the Tee is faulty (more common than a faulty Point-1).

Alternatively you can try your Point-1 on someone else's boat with the same setup, and this will determine if the Point-1 is the problem, or the connection to the NMEA 2000 backbone is the problem.

The Active Target determines heading in a couple of different ways. The most reliable by far is using a heading sensor like a Point-1 so it always knows where it is pointing regardless of moving or standing still.

A second method for determining heading is by using the GPS, but this requires the boat to be moving fast enough that the satellites can track the gps's new position. This does not work standing still or slowly drifting (unless a Point-1 is included).

A third method involves a magnetic sensor in the transducer, but this is the least reliable method as any magnetic interference throws the accuracy off. Works with ice fishing and on the trolling motor if the transducer is not near anything magnetic (most trolling motors have magnets in the motor).

Hope this helps.
    ciao,
    Marc

17. Member
    I am no closer to fixing this. today i unhooked all NEMA from the two Live 9's,the ghost, Active Target. power off everything. hooked everything back up powered up everything and still have no Point 1 in devices. Again, everything work fine until the update and hard reset. there's got to be something else that I am missing. this is very frustrating.
    Also, not sure what moving the AT transducer to the other side of TM shaft would do.

18. Member
    Did you try the steps I mentioned above? Your comments make it clear you are convinced the update is bad, and if that is keeping you from proper troubleshooting then you will never get this resolved.

While you are at it, check the fuse in your NMEA 2000 network to see if it is blown. Do any other devices show up on the device list that confirms the network is getting power?

Software 20.3 has nothing to do with your Point-1 not working...the timing is either a coincidence, or it was out for a while before 20.3 and you didn't notice it.
    ciao,
    Marc

19. Member
    I'm not convinced the update is bad. seems very strange the issue started with the update.
    I moved the point1 to a different tee in the NEMA and went through the directions by Nocal.
    Yes the other unit on the dash and this unit on the bow have a list of about 7/8 different devices that show up.
    I have no other boat to try the Point 1 on.

20. Member
    If you attached your Point-1 to a known good Tee on your network and it didn't show on your device list then you found your problem... your Point-1 is fried.
    ciao,
    Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast