Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rod Buckles...Your Experience?

In my thread asking about rod bungees, someone suggested Boat Buckle brand Rod Buckles. This looks like a great product but over the years I've heard stories about the clip on them breaking and causing the loss of rods. Reviews on Amazon and old BBC posts confirm both the clip problem and also the retractor mechanism failing. On the other hand many people rave about them and how great they are. I can't tell fetch'm or sic'm.

If you have had Rod Buckles on you boat for some time, I would appreciate your honest opinion of them. They ain't cheap so I want to make sure they'll hold up.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Mine have been on my boat since it was new in 02 and I've never had a bit of trouble and everyone I know that have them has never mentioned having problems with them. I can't see having a boat without them.

3. Member
    Mine came new on my 2000 Ranger. Still working fine.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

4. Member
    99 TR-21 original rod buckles still work fine. Be
    Last edited by Albyfish; 10-08-2021 at 11:54 AM.

5. Member
    Mine has worked really well
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

6. Member
    No problems at all. I like 'em.
    2021 Gator Trax 21' Strike Series
    Mercury 250 ProXS #3B134663

My current boat came with the rod buckles. Never had an issue with them. I prefer them over the bungee type. My last boat had the bungee type and they were constantly dry rotting and cracking.

Now, the bungee just get screwed into the boat. The buckles need a hole cut out. Its your call.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Mine are original and have been flawless for 16 years.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

Well, it looks it’s 7 to 0 positive comments. I’m not hard on my equipment so the should do fine. Thanks guys.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

More than likely, if you have "heard stories" on them breaking it is probably due to something someone did to them. Like repeatedly stepping on them, or their boat sat outside in the elements and deteriorated somehow. I have had them on several boats with no problems at all. I had one set of bungee straps on a center console bay boat and they broke 6 months after installing them. Now those are a piece of crap !
    2024 Bass Cat Puma STS
    2024 Mercury V8 ProXS 250hp

My rod buckles were one of the best things I put on my boat.

12. mikesxpress
    Reviews indicating problems with the Rod Buckle straps are most likely self induced. I've had multiple boats with these installed and no issues. Once you detach the strap, follow it back (hold it) till it fully retracts. Letting it slap back to the face after release offers an opportunity for the end to nick your fishing lines and damage the retraction device.

13. Member
    great product last forever if treated well
    Last edited by mactlman; 10-09-2021 at 03:53 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Reviews indicating problems with the Rod Buckle straps are most likely self induced. I've had multiple boats with these installed and no issues. Once you detach the strap, follow it back (hold it) till it fully retracts. Letting it slap back to the face after release offers an opportunity for the end to nick your fishing lines and damage the retraction device.
    This makes sense. It was one of the first things I learned when I started using a 20’ tape measure on a daily basis. Letting it snap back will cause the rivets that holds the hook to tear through the blade. It became a pet peeve of mine to see someone let a tape snap back.

Another question….I’m thinking about mounting these a little further aft where ithe strap will be over the rod locker lids. I see other boats that are like that. Seems like it would be helpful when you need to get into the locker with rods on deck. Any opinions on that, one way or the other?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    Yes, definately put them on the lids

16. Member
    Ya...reading reviews is bad news anymore. Not sure there is a product out there anymore that doesn't have trolls bashing it in one way or the other. I personally don't have them (yet) but haven't heard anything bad about them from friends of mine who do. The only thing holding me back is the design of the gunnel on my Nitro Z19. The gunnel is extremely small and limits my option to the type of Rod Buckle that installs the retractor device directly into the deck/carpet. I'm a little gun-shy about drilling that big of a hole in my front deck.

As far as mounting the Rod Buckle on the rod locker lid, my personal preference is to not have it installed there. With my bungee style strap, I can keep my rods strapped down while opening up the rod locker and they won't fall overboard. The rods do angle out quite a bit in order to have enough clearance for the rod locker lid to open, but they don't fall overboard. Plenty of folks out there have it installed going across the rod locker so it must be ok...just not my preferred way I guess.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    never heard or seen of them breaking mine have been on boat 7 years still look work like new, and I let mine snap back ... in tournaments I have no time to waste lol

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    My current boat came with the rod buckles. Never had an issue with them. I prefer them over the bungee type. My last boat had the bungee type and they were constantly dry rotting and cracking.

Now, the bungee just get screwed into the boat. The buckles need a hole cut out. Its your call.
    they have a extenal mounting cup if you do not want to cut a hole in boat however id cut them in very easy

19. Member
    Has anyone put the rid buckles on a ranger rt188/triton 18tx aluminum rig

20. Member
    Had mine since 2003 in a Triton TR20. No issues. The clip is attached over the rod locker as well. I can open the rod lockers with them strapped. I do not let the strap clap back against the railing. Just cautious on my part.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast