Thread: Brisket

Brisket

I bought a whole prime packer brisket last Thursday at Costco in anticipation of my first born coming out of the NICU last Friday and me being off all this week. Long story short, he got delayed until this weekend (hopefully) and I'll be off next week. Its been in the fridge ever since. My mom's old school thinking says I need to freeze it because the sell by date was 10/3. It's not been opened, its still in the cryo bag sealed. Am I ok to let it ride until I cook it sometime in the next 7-10 days?

2. Member
    I would freeze it, but that’s just me. Better safe than risking illness or ruining the brisket. One or two days is one thing, but a week or better is another. JMHO.

3. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I would freeze it, but that’s just me. Better safe than risking illness or ruining the brisket. One or two days is one thing, but a week or better is another. JMHO.
    Agreed! I would hate to have to throw away a nice brisket at $5.99 a pound.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

4. Member
    OK, I'll throw it in the freezer. Thanks.

5. Member
    I age them up to 30 days in the cryopack if it's unopened in the fridge. Pretty common practice in competition.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    I age them up to 30 days in the cryopack if it's unopened in the fridge. Pretty common practice in competition.
    That's kind of what I was thinking too, but I froze it for a couple days anyway. Cooked it Saturday 13 hr at 265* on my BGE. It was delicious. Cubing up the leftovers for chili, some time this fall.