Info Request: Lake Alto, Sante Fe etc......

Buddy of mine just built a new house on some land outside Starke and invited me to come check it out for the weekend. Was going to drag my boat over there so we can go fishing. He's new to the area and doesn't know about the local lakes, neither do I. Anybody have some basic info on the lakes around there? Which one would you fish? How is the fishing in them? Looking at Google Earth there's Lake Alto, Sante Fe, Little Santa Fe, Newman's Lake. I've heard of some of these by name but thats it. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I would go to Orange Lake, it has some giants but you will have to flip/punch to get them.

3. Member
    In my experience for going to a new body of water Lake Sampson would be my choice, second would be Santa Fe, then Alto. I’ve had great days on all 3. You’ll have to put time in to figure them each out. Orange isn’t too much further down the road than alto is and will likely fish better than the 3 closer to starke.

Frog Chunker ?????? weigh in son, I think one of those is a lake you know well (Santa Fe)??? If he weighs in LISTEN you will appreciate it.

Spanky

Santa Fe, feast of famine, you can have GREAT Days and others you wish you would have stayed in bed. Alto so-so for me, lots of work for the bite, I would rather continue down the road and hit Orange Lochloosa. Sampson can be awesome but you have to work it and some guys don't have the patience.

Spanky

6. Member
    PM Sent

7. Member
    Little Orange Lake/Holden Park by Hawthorne is another good choice. There are three little lakes attached by canals with a public ramp.

8. Member
    Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it!

9. Member
    All,
    do not forget about lochaloosa especially with these high waters. SanteFe is fishing good about 3 feet into the grass lines

10. Member
    The powers in charge keep the water low in sampson. You just have to be easy navigating the access into the lake from the ramp canal. Under the tressel is out for now. To topped out in Rowell to navigate. There was schooling action in Sampson last weekend. Look for birds. Anywhere you find topped out pepper grass it's worth checking out. You just have to find out in which part of the lake they're in.
    I love S.F. but I've fished it for 40 yrs. If I was going the first time I'd stay in little lake. Plenty of fish there and won't be so overwhelming.
    As far as Orange, there is just to much grass to navigate for someone that doesn't know where to go.

Well, did you go?
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    Well, did you go?
    Hey BOATS,

We had to bump the trip due to work/life/home construction issues etc.... We're going the weekend of December 10th and plan on hitting Orange/Lochloosa and possibly Little Sante Fe based on all the IM's I got. I'll definitely update this thread with a report when we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    Hey BOATS,

We had to bump the trip due to work/life/home construction issues etc.... We're going the weekend of December 10th and plan on hitting Orange/Lochloosa and possibly Little Sante Fe based on all the IM's I got. I'll definitely update this thread with a report when we go.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115