Differences between original Zillion and SV103?

I know the original TD Zillion and the SV103 are both workhorse reels. I belive they both use the same basic frame. And while I hear lots of great things about the Zillion, the SV103 seems to be considered a much better reel, almost worshipped, if you will. Aside from the SV spool in the 103, what are the differences between the two reels, and why does the 103 seem to be so much more sought after? And can the Zillion be modified to an SV103 performance level reel? Kind of like beefing up a Pixy to a Pixzilla?

Thanks,

Dave

2. Member
    OG Zillion has a 36 mm spool. The sv has a 34 mm sv spool. Different magnets in the palm plate. You will need spacers to run a 34 mm sv spool in the OG Zillion.

3. Member
    Same frame and internals for the most part. Gears are compatible from what I recall.

Part of what makes the SV103 so sought after was it was only made a short while where the OG zillion was made for many years. It included many base models, limited runs, US and JDM etc.

The OG Zillion reels were all 36 mm spools as noted above. Most were mag Z breaking some but used a fixed inductor like the PE models.

The SV103 also has the faster level wind.

Casting distance an OG Zillion will outcast a SV103. The SV103 is more about control and negating wind. Most people swap that stock spool on the SV103to something that opens it up more or tunes the stock spool with bearings and an iductor/inductor spring mod.

To use a 34 mm spool in the OG Zillion you will need spacers. Problem is they are incredibly tough to come by...
    Last edited by kickerfish1; 10-07-2021 at 10:24 PM.

4. Member
    The SV103H and SV103XS came out for the 2015 season and were discontinued by 2017. They had a 6.3:1 (H with champagne gold accents) and 7.9:1 gear ratio (XS with deep purple accents). They featured a 34mm spool so any TD-Z/Steez (outside of 100 size) style spool would fit right in. They were made of aluminum with brass gears, made in Japan, and only for the USDM market. They had ports in the top of the frame like a TD-Z Type-R/Ito so they had a JDM look. Personally, they are my favorite reel that Daiwa has made for mainstream fishing. I have quite a few of them and many are still NIB.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info, everyone! I've got the 103 HSL and the XSL and really like both. For some reason, I'm not quite so hot about the two Zillions I have, so I was wondering if I could make them a bit more like the 103s. Guess I will try to do some mods on them over the winter.

6. Member
    The Tackle Trap used to sell metal spacers and there was a gentleman on here or maybe Tackle Tour/Bass Resource that was making them himself. I think you might also be able to get some on some of the JDM sites (though they may be plastic). Drop a 103 spool in there and change the bumper color out from the OG Zillion and you have a similar reel to an SV103. But to me, nothing beats the original SV103 reels.

7. Member
    I have a bunch of SV103’s. Been thinking about selling them to buy new reels but they have performed flawlessly.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    I have a bunch of SV103’s. Been thinking about selling them to buy new reels but they have performed flawlessly.
    Don't sell them. Put them away for a rainy day. Try new reels if you want and you will come back to them.

9. Member
    Big Bass1, Do you prefer the SV103 to the new Zillion?

I've been a fan of the original Zillion and SV103 for a long time as well and still have variants of each that I use regularly. The newest Daiwa stuff is really incredible though, new 21 Zillion SV TW is an absolute home run in my opinion.

11. Member
    Bronzefly, Every since I’ve received the 21 Zillion you guys sent me I’ve been sitting in my hotel room playing with it. Since all my stuff is on a slow boat to Japan I don’t have anything to compare it to or even mount it on a rod but I’m fairly certain it’ll quickly become one of if not my best performing reel over my TD-Zs, Zillions, Fuegos and Tatulas.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbro1014 View Post
    Big Bass1, Do you prefer the SV103 to the new Zillion?
    I have a new Zillion and use my SV103 reels every bit as much. The new Zillion is a great reel and I like it alot but the quality "feel" of the SV103 is hard to beat.