Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leaf Spring Bolt Bushing

Left rear-most bolt bushing seems to be non-existent. TI/EZ Loader tandem axle. What's involved with replacing it?

Thank you.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

I replaced the springs, bolts and bushings on my single axle trailer. Not all that hard if you don't mind working on your back.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    Can I just jack up the one side of my trailer, boat and all, remove the one bolt and swap out the bushing, or will the spring fall down with extreme force, and I won't be able to put it back up? Any tips for me?
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

Quote Originally Posted by MrLeadfoot View Post
    Can I just jack up the one side of my trailer, boat and all, remove the one bolt and swap out the bushing, or will the spring fall down with extreme force, and I won't be able to put it back up? Any tips for me?
    Not sure exactly what your setup is I describe how I did it on my single axle. You need either a jack or a jack stand to hold up the spring when you remove the bolt. I would jack the boat up to get the weight off the spring. USE JACK STANDS BEFORE YOU CRAWL UNDER. Use another bottle jack or jack stand to support the spring to keep it from dropping. Replace the bolt and the bushing and that's it. Might be a good idea to give it a squirt of grease. I'm not familiar with tandem axel set up so somebody may have better information on the subject.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    I went to a boat ramp, unloaded boat and used a floor jack and bottle jack to do mine, it's a lot easier with the boat off trailer.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

6. Member
    Jack it up Put on Jack stands and use floor jack to move springs up and down. Replace bolts also.I also replaced Equalizer . Impact drive will make it easier.

7. Member
    There are different size bushings. I know of a least 4 different sizes and there could be more. Also the material of bronze and PVC (plastic). My boat has 2 sizes ( 4 of bronze 11/16 x 9/16 and 2 of PVC 3/4 x 9/16) So make sure you have the correct bushing size or some of all sizes they are fairly cheap.

8. Member
    Maybe I should jack up the GOOD side, take off the bolt and see what kind and size bushing, since the "bad" side may have nothing left in there. How tight are those bolts supposed to be? Just asking so I know what I am in for in trying to remove the nut, and putting it back. There is no washer on the nut side, nor is it a Nylock bolt, so I assume it's a special lock nut? Can I reuse that nut on a new bolt, or...?
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

9. Member
    Are the bushings pressed in or do they simply slide in and out of leaf spring end?
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

Maybe I should jack up the GOOD side, take off the bolt and see what kind and size bushing, since the "bad" side may have nothing left in there. How tight are those bolts supposed to be? Just asking so I know what I am in for in trying to remove the nut, and putting it back. There is no washer on the nut side, nor is it a Nylock bolt, so I assume it's a special lock nut? Can I reuse that nut on a new bolt, or...?

The nut may be a "stover" type lock nut. Some of these type nuts are designed to bind when going on to lock the nut onto the bolt. I think you'd be fine with any style lock nut you prefer.

11. Member
    Are the bushings pressed in or do they simply slide in and out of leaf spring end?
    Just a snug fit.....I normally tap into place with a nylon faced hammer or piece of wood and standard hammer.
    Last edited by 5keepers2; 10-09-2021 at 08:20 AM.

12. Member
    You should be able to get the old one out to get the correct size. It likely will be worn and need replacement also. If these are worn it is likely the bushings in shackles will also be worn. On my shackles bushing were bronze and on spring attachment to boat PVC.

13. Member
    I'm starting to wonder if everything needs to be replaced. Everything squeaks, and I bought it brand new in 1998. Nothing has been changed in all this time. I live 2 miles from Folsom Lake, so for a many years, I just went there weekly, with periodic fair weather trips to lakes within a 75 mile radius. Every so often I'd hit the brackish water if the California Delta, but always rinsed the hell out of it afterwards. Perhaps that's why nothing's needed to be changed for 23 years. But it's gotta be time. I think I'm just going to take it to a trailer shop and have them do it, and at the same time have them give it a thorough inspection. Who knows, maybe shackles are all oblong now. Better to be safe than break down somewhere due to metal fatigue. And, after all this time, although there isn't any rust, I wouldn't be surprised if some nuts are frozen.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

I'm starting to wonder if everything needs to be replaced. Everything squeaks, and I bought it brand new in 1998. Nothing has been changed in all this time. I live 2 miles from Folsom Lake, so for a many years, I just went there weekly, with periodic fair weather trips to lakes within a 75 mile radius. Every so often I'd hit the brackish water if the California Delta, but always rinsed the hell out of it afterwards. Perhaps that's why nothing's needed to be changed for 23 years. But it's gotta be time. I think I'm just going to take it to a trailer shop and have them do it, and at the same time have them give it a thorough inspection. Who knows, maybe shackles are all oblong now. Better to be safe than break down somewhere due to metal fatigue. And, after all this time, although there isn't any rust, I wouldn't be surprised if some nuts are frozen.
    I think that’s good advice you gave yourself.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I think that’s good advice you gave yourself.
    Thanks for the comment. I was wondering if I was being too paranoid, so glad to hear that someone else thinks 23 years is long enough on the same bushing, bolts, shackles etc.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

My trailer started sounding like I was dragging scrap iron behind me. One day I jacked up the right side to service the wheel bearings and discovered I had been riding around on a broken spring. As soon as I jacked it up, the spring leaf swung down and made it obvious that it must be replaced. BBC advisors advised to replace everything on both sides. I found a trailer manufacturer that had a small parts department for the trailers he sold. He had everything I needed for a very reasonable price. At 68 years old, I learned how to replace springs on a boat trailer. Wasn’t so hard and gave me a real feeling of accomplishment. I had to fix it in the garage. With the broken spring it would’ve had to be towed in and the only trailer repair shop in OKC
    had recently retired.

81E2D95E-22DC-4828-B111-A14EE07F5A7F.jpeg
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

17. Member
    Oh, I have no doubt that I can do the work myself. I have all the tools including two floor jacks, 6 jackstands, air tools, etc. But, I'm not so sure I want to deal with finding out I need this and then that, and running back and forth trying to find parts, and working on my back in my cramped garage with the boat on it. Sometimes, it's just not worth the headache, you know what I mean?

Now, if something was broken to the extent that I couldn't drive it, as was your case, then I would certainly do it myself. At least, the immediate repair. But, I would then still wonder if everything needed to be done anyway, being that it's 23 years old, and be right back to where I am now, wondering if I should just let a pro give it a thorough inspection.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

18. Member
    loosen the bolt. jack up the trailer (not the axle) at some point the pressure will be off the hanger and you will be able to take the bolt out. I would suggest new bolt along with the bushing - most likely the shackles have worn a groove in the bolt. If it was me I would be doing the shackles along with the bolt and bushing.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

19. Member
    Dexter's wet bolts are easy easy to install and zero squeaking after install
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Dexter's wet bolts are easy easy to install and zero squeaking after install
    Sounds like the OP's trailer needs a set.
    One of the best investments you can make even for a new trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast