Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New boat order (September 2021) build/wait time Puma STS

Hello folks,

I placed my boat order in September 2021 for the new Puma STS. I was told 5-6 months build time. Now first let me say I understand the lead time to build these amazing boats, particularly in these times. I visited the Bass Cat factory in August 2021, and it was at that time my boat search was over! Meeting Rick Pierce, Jackson, and the staff sold it for me. It was also at this visit I was first told it would be 5-6 months. This puts the boat delivery sometime in late Spring 2022. Even if it is June 2022 I have no problem with that.

However, I now hear rumors of part delays and material shortages from suppliers. During my visit in August, I asked about any pinch points or supplier delays,. I was told there were none that would hold up production. There is not much BCB can do about part manufacturer delays. Particularly if they do not wish to compromise the high level of craftsmanship and quality of their product. But if this build process extends to , say 11 months, then my season is over with no boat. Plus, will my boat then be a 2023 model?

Let's start a dialogue on this. Please weigh in with your thoughts and any facts you may have.

Greatly appreciated ladies and gentlemen!
    Last edited by Hookdem; 10-07-2021 at 09:20 AM. Reason: format for better reading

We have an extremely high demand load right now. It is higher than most of the competition and we definitely are challenged by vendor issues. As for quality, we have sourced and tested some secondary products in tentative shortage situations. Epoxy is compromising our industry and even transducers are in short supply.

As for raw materials we are focused on the quality required and have worked with a secondary resin company to match the present AME-6001 resin, and we are testing others. We do have the first option on a proprietary build.

Other products continue to be a challenge as we waddle through them. Nothing should hold up most of the builds, just final assembly parts are in question at times.

BCB

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We have an extremely high demand load right now. It is higher than most of the competition and we definitely are challenged by vendor issues. As for quality, we have sourced and tested some secondary products in tentative shortage situations. Epoxy is compromising our industry and even transducers are in short supply.

As for raw materials we are focused on the quality required and have worked with a secondary resin company to match the present AME-6001 resin, and we are testing others. We do have the first option on a proprietary build.

Other products continue to be a challenge as we waddle through them. Nothing should hold up most of the builds, just final assembly parts are in question at times.

BCB

Thank you for your quick response. Is a lead time of 6 months still accurate based on a September order date?

We just have to have patience at this time. As much as a new steed in the garage would be nice the one that's there is plenty nice. The only thing that would change is if I have to repower. If I have to repower then just put the money in her and I may never own a cat. If its meant to be it will and if not oh well!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    We just have to have patience at this time. As much as a new steed in the garage would be nice the one that's there is plenty nice. The only thing that would change is if I have to repower. If I have to repower then just put the money in her and I may never own a cat. If its meant to be it will and if not oh well!
    What???

As you know, all industries are affected by parts,material shortages. Mega freighters waiting to be unloaded certainly not helping. I don't believe anyone can give dates on a product, for example, thousands of new vehicles sitting in fields. It will be worth the wait.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    As you know, all industries are affected by parts,material shortages. Mega freighters waiting to be unloaded certainly not helping. I don't believe anyone can give dates on a product, for example, thousands of new vehicles sitting in fields. It will be worth the wait.
    Blue, Agree and this why I added my verbage. Just looking for those that also ordered an STS and see if we start seeing delivered boats by November.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post

It is taking just as long if not longer to get a motor to repower. The manufacturers have first dibs on all motors (Mr. Morris has near 50% of ALL Mercury motors)

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletman20 View Post
    It is taking just as long if not longer to get a motor to repower. The manufacturers have first dibs on all motors (Mr. Morris has near 50% of ALL Mercury motors)
    Your correct! Don't think I have to worry about Johnny

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Member
    My August 2021 factory tour was informative. Rick Pierce has a great 2016 YouTube video that not only shows his transparency in the build process but also the level of detail in the manufacturing process. Bass Cat truly is a superior product. His passion demonstrates a level of commitment that will ensure Bass Cat remains a leader in this highly competitive industry. With the many challenges in today's market, I'm confident Bass Cat's focus on quality will remain a priority during the build process. This is the main reason Bass Cat has clearly separated itself from the competition.

I'm glad I'm part of the Bass Cat family

Quote Originally Posted by Hookdem View Post
    My August 2021 factory tour was informative. Rick Pierce has a great 2016 YouTube video that not only shows his transparency in the build process but also the level of detail in the manufacturing process. Bass Cat truly is a superior product. His passion demonstrates a level of commitment that will ensure Bass Cat remains a leader in this highly competitive industry. With the many challenges in today's market, I'm confident Bass Cat's focus on quality will remain a priority during the build process. This is the main reason Bass Cat has clearly separated itself from the competition.

I'm glad I'm part of the Bass Cat family
    Didn't you say on the Basscat website you are concerned that they would use inferior resin?

12. Member
    My Puma is on order too and the proposed build time I received from my dealer (a friend of mine) isconsistent with yours. Having been thru this build cycle twice before I've learned that BCB does the best they can to provide accurate delivery dates but, as they say, "**** happens". I know they are doing the best they can and won't compromise quality. A few weeks delay up front will be forgotten with the years of performance. I tried to give a little lead time before my season starts and I hope it's enough.

They are going to try and have some improved clarity by November as they are still gathering information on parts. It’s difficult with containers, engines, parts and people. Let’s alone FedEx lost 6 critical boxes on an International air shipment.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisMH&F View Post
    Having been thru this build cycle twice before I've learned that BCB does the best they can to provide accurate delivery dates but, as they say, "**** happens". I know they are doing the best they can and won't compromise quality.
    I agree that BCB will do what's right for the business and the customer. Thanks for the reply.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    They are going to try and have some improved clarity by November as they are still gathering information on parts. It’s difficult with containers, engines, parts and people. Let’s alone FedEx lost 6 critical boxes on an International air shipment.
    Yep, heard the same. That will be helpful.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookdem View Post
    Hello folks,

I placed my boat order in September 2021 for the new Puma STS. I was told 5-6 months build time. Now first let me say I understand the lead time to build these amazing boats, particularly in these times. I visited the Bass Cat factory in August 2021, and it was at that time my boat search was over! Meeting Rick Pierce, Jackson, and the staff sold it for me. It was also at this visit I was first told it would be 5-6 months. This puts the boat delivery sometime in late Spring 2022. Even if it is June 2022 I have no problem with that.

However, I now hear rumors of part delays and material shortages from suppliers. During my visit in August, I asked about any pinch points or supplier delays,. I was told there were none that would hold up production. There is not much BCB can do about part manufacturer delays. Particularly if they do not wish to compromise the high level of craftsmanship and quality of their product. But if this build process extends to , say 11 months, then my season is over with no boat. Plus, will my boat then be a 2023 model?

Let's start a dialogue on this. Please weigh in with your thoughts and any facts you may have.

Greatly appreciated ladies and gentlemen!
    Did you trade in an old boat already or private party sell it? I've bought one boat new, and had to wait the two months of build time to get the ordered one. I always thought, why can't the dealer give a pre-trade in estimate, let you keep running your current boat, and accept the trade in with price adjustments for any additional damage? Do any dealers do trade in that way?

It's kind of unusual the way it works now, can you imagine buying a new truck and they take your current vehicle and make you wait for the build time without a vehicle.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

17. Member
    I ordered a new Eyra May 5th. I was told they are waiting on the reflex flooring and other parts. It is very frustrating and inconvenient, but they are doing the best they can in these trying times. I just keep reminding myself that It is a material thing and that I have more important things to focus on. Yeah, going on 6 months wait is tough, but the 6 months of chemo and cancer treatments gave me the perspective needed for these times. I was hoping and expecting to have mine for my Sep. 12th birthday present to myself for getting to remission... I will have a belated celebration when I get the call it is finally ready for the ride back to KY:)

18. Member
    This is a random question but how long, from start to finish, does it take to build a cat? Assuming all parts and materials are on hand and no labor shortages?
    2014 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury ProXs 200

A couple of weeks.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Did you trade in an old boat already or private party sell it? I've bought one boat new, and had to wait the two months of build time to get the ordered one. I always thought, why can't the dealer give a pre-trade in estimate, let you keep running your current boat, and accept the trade in with price adjustments for any additional damage? Do any dealers do trade in that way?

It's kind of unusual the way it works now, can you imagine buying a new truck and they take your current vehicle and make you wait for the build time without a vehicle.
    I have no trade in. A buddy of mine is trading-in his 2016 Ranger. He is able to keep it until his Eyra is ready. Boat Wrx is both our dealer. I am working with Boat Wrx on my STS. My order was place early September. Boat Wrx have been amazing to work with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast