Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it OK to use Group 24 for 36 volt Trolling Motor?

I have a thread on wiring a 36 volt setup, but started this one because I am looking specifically for information about battery type so thought it would be best to start a new thread. I apologize if I shouldn't have.

Currently have two Group 27s and a Motorguide Brute 756, 12/24 volt, 56 lbs. thrust. No issues at all fishing 10 hours even against the wind.

Considering a move to Utlrex 36 volt 112 lbs. Would three Group 24s on this trolling motor give similar performance in terms of hours? I would think with 23 year newer technology the motor would be much more energy efficient and, being that it's more powerful, it would use less electricity. Thoughts?

I simply don't have room for bigger batteries. Not sure I want to pop for Lithium just yet.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

2. Member
    Did you try to turn it by hand when you took it apart ,take it back off see if you can slide the motor winding out of case see if corrosion build up is between magnets and motor

3. Member
    It would be really hard to give an answer to your question unless someone had experience doing exactly what your planning BUT my question to you is if you're currently running a 56 lb. TM w/2-27 series batteries and can run for 10 hours with no problem--why go to a 36V/112 system (which would be over-kill) when it's obvious that the 24V/80 lb Ultrex could run on the same 2-27 series batteries??? If you have room for 3-24 series you could even step up to 2-31 series with the 80 lb Ultrex and run for 2-3 days without a charge!!

An 80# Ultrex is lighter than the 112 too so less weight on the bow generally means more speed. I prefer a 112 on any boat 19’ and larger but that is just me. You should consider lithiums as you can definitely fit 3 60ah batteries and lose a bunch of weight!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    The reason I am considering going from 24 to 36 is because I want Spot Lock, and a friend just happened to take a 36 volt Ultrex off his boat and is making me a killer deal on it.

I know I can't get a true comparison, so I guess my question really is: Can I run all day on Group 24 batteries on a 36 volt TM?

I understand that Lithium would fit, but they're a bit pricey, even though they have come down since their inception.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    An 80# Ultrex is lighter than the 112 too so less weight on the bow generally means more speed. I prefer a 112 on any boat 19’ and larger but that is just me. You should consider lithiums as you can definitely fit 3 60ah batteries and lose a bunch of weight!
    While I prefer to keep costs down, I will eventually get there, so which Lithiums would you suggest I look at? It wouldn't hurt me to explore that option.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

7. Banned
    You should be fine with 3 group 24s.

8. Member
    AGM batteries can be mounted in creative ways. You don’t have to do the regular mounting thing. Look your area over you may come up with a way to get 3 bigger batteries installed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletman20 View Post
    It would be really hard to give an answer to your question unless someone had experience doing exactly what your planning BUT my question to you is if you're currently running a 56 lb. TM w/2-27 series batteries and can run for 10 hours with no problem--why go to a 36V/112 system (which would be over-kill) when it's obvious that the 24V/80 lb Ultrex could run on the same 2-27 series batteries??? If you have room for 3-24 series you could even step up to 2-31 series with the 80 lb Ultrex and run for 2-3 days without a charge!!
    Looks like I will be doing as you suggested. Even three Group 24s won't give me the reserve capacity as 2 two 27s, and going to 80 lbs. from 56 is nearly 50% more power. Too bad I have to now spend full price on a new 24 volt instead of the steal I would've gotten on my friend's 36 volt. But, at least I'll have a warranty, wont have to buy additional batteries and charger.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

10. Member
    A Trollbridge 36 will charge the 3 trolling batteries from your alternator while running to, from and between fishing spots.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeadfoot View Post
    Looks like I will be doing as you suggested. Even three Group 24s won't give me the reserve capacity as 2 two 27s, and going to 80 lbs. from 56 is nearly 50% more power. Too bad I have to now spend full price on a new 24 volt instead of the steal I would've gotten on my friend's 36 volt. But, at least I'll have a warranty, wont have to buy additional batteries and charger.
    I think that you have made the right decision. Group 24 batteries have a very small RC, and I don't think that they would have served you well with the 36 volt troller. Would have been questionable as to whether they would last the day, but 24's would also be more deeply discharged each time, translating into a much shorter life span as well.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I think that you have made the right decision. Group 24 batteries have a very small RC, and I don't think that they would have served you well with the 36 volt troller. Would have been questionable as to whether they would last the day, but 24's would also be more deeply discharged each time, translating into a much shorter life span as well.
    Ooooh, good point! I didn't even consider the deeper discharge aspect. One more confirmation that I'm doing the right thing. Thanks for chiming in! :-)
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
    A Trollbridge 36 will charge the 3 trolling batteries from your alternator while running to, from and between fishing spots.
    Thanks for the info. I assume they make them for 24 volt, too?
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

14. Member
    If you have two group 27's you can probably get two group 31 AGM's in the same space.

Might I suggest Sam's Club Duracell group 31 AGM's at less than $200 apiece?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If you have two group 27's you can probably get two group 31 AGM's in the same space.

Might I suggest Sam's Club Duracell group 31 AGM's at less than $200 apiece?
    Are AGMs really worth the extra price over regular batteries?
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

16. Member
    I had 3 group 24s in one of my boats for 4 seasons. Long long days at maybe 2 to 5 on the dial. No issues. The new owner ran them for at least one more season last we talked about it.

The only benefit to agm batteries is the no service required as aspect.
    A flooded deep cycle typically has more reserve power so would be the logical choice for a trolling
    motor application
    If your bilge is tight and checking or potentially adding water to batteries is too difficult then agm is your answer. But aside from flooded is best. I never understood the pushing of AGMs on this forum by so many.

17. Member
    My new 36v 100a lithium is the size of 2 group 24s and only weighs 62lbs. Man I love that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by BassmanZF6 View Post
    You should be fine with 3 group 24s.
    Agree
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCas View Post
    I had 3 group 24s in one of my boats for 4 seasons. Long long days at maybe 2 to 5 on the dial. No issues. The new owner ran them for at least one more season last we talked about it.

The only benefit to agm batteries is the no service required as aspect.
    A flooded deep cycle typically has more reserve power so would be the logical choice for a trolling
    motor application
    If your bilge is tight and checking or potentially adding water to batteries is too difficult then agm is your answer. But aside from flooded is best. I never understood the pushing of AGMs on this forum by so many.
    I think I agree with you on traditional vs. AGM. I guess if I really had no choice, though, I would go with AGM, but by the time I spend on those, I might as well get lithium.

Fortunately, I DO have a choice, and decided to stay 24 volt, and passed on a great deal on my friend's 36 volt Ultrex. If a 24 volt 56# tm from 1998 does me just fine now, even with one battery shared as a starting battery, I bet a modern 24 volt tm, like the 24 volt Ultrex would be fine. At 80#, it would already be 50% more powerful, and I would THINK the tms today are more energy efficient, so I would get even longer than the 10 hour days I get now, without even changing batteries.

At lest, I keep telling myself that now, because my friend was going to give me his 36 volt Ultrex and Hummingbird for less than 50% off retail, but the cost of batteries that fit and new charger would have put me at the cost of a brand new Ultrex!
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300
    Sportmaster lower-end

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeadfoot View Post
    While I prefer to keep costs down, I will eventually get there, so which Lithiums would you suggest I look at? It wouldn't hurt me to explore that option.
    3 x 50amp ionics is all you need. I haven't been able to kill them in a 10 hour day of fishing in heavy wind. Lowest they've ever gotten was 52% in a day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast