Thread: Invest in what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Invest in what?

Let's say you had $50k spare cash (I don't). What would you invest in right now?.....and don't say new bassboat...lol

2. Member
    I would probably dollar cost average into a few mutual funds or etfs. It really depends on your goals and time horizons. I have one account I own with my wife and I am pretty much going to put it in 3-5 etfs like SCHD, SCHG and SCHY and maybe 1-2 bond etfs if rates ever rise enough. She is very conservative and is not interested in investing so this makes sense for that account with easy diversification.

3. Member
    CRYPTO
    BTC OR ETH

4. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    It depends on time horizon. But for me with 20yrs, TSLA. I don't think there is anything as exciting as what TSLA could become in the future. Autonomy, Energy, and eventually AGI
    Thanos was the hero

5. Member
    I would spread it around. Some etfs or mutual funds, some individual stock, and keep some of it cash for a rainy day.

I like, and have some TSLA. But, I would be careful with it. It’s PE is still around 400. Looks good long term, short term could be bumpy.

6. Member
    Wait for a dump in the market and pick up quality stocks and ETFs. I would look at PG, NVDA, MA, IIPR, and for ETFs, FENY, FREL, and SCHD.

7. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drothgeb View Post
    I would spread it around. Some etfs or mutual funds, some individual stock, and keep some of it cash for a rainy day.

I like, and have some TSLA. But, I would be careful with it. It’s PE is still around 400. Looks good long term, short term could be bumpy.

I wouldn't use PE multiples when evaluating a growth company. I missed AMZN because it had 1000+ PE. Just like TSLA was at 1200 PE a few months ago. After this next earnings report the PE will get much lower, and every quarter the PE will decrease. Personally I think a PE should only be used on a value company with slow growth.
    Thanos was the hero

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I wouldn't use PE multiples when evaluating a growth company. I missed AMZN because it had 1000+ PE. Just like TSLA was at 1200 PE a few months ago. After this next earnings report the PE will get much lower, and every quarter the PE will decrease. Personally I think a PE should only be used on a value company with slow growth.
    I wouldn’t live and die by the PE, but I certainly would look at it when considering a purchase. When it rises well into the hundreds or even thousands, the price of the stock is driven much more by the emotions of the investors, than it is by the value of the company. It’s not a reason not to buy, as long as you are aware that the stock may rise, or fall, large amounts in short periods of time. First time investors just need to understand this.

9. Member
    So,,,,,no land, classic cars, flat worms?

10. Member
    If you have secure investments and set for retirement I recommend Bitcoin and Altcoins. You do not have to follow it like day trading and can make some really good money. Just save for taxes when the government comes for it.

bitcoin, oil, chip makers

The Stock market is long over due for a correction. Best place to put the money in the short term would be the crypto markets. One could easily double that 50k in a few months then sit on it till the markets bottom out again. Then re-assess.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

13. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Didn't we just come out of a recession? And had a correction a month ago?
    Thanos was the hero

14. Member
    I’m not sure market fluctuations due to a government induced economic shutdown counts as a true market correction. But I could be wrong…..

15. Member
    So who are the great cryptocurrency brokers or exchanges?

16. Member
    I don't know about being great but I use coinbase, binance.us, and gemini.

17. Member
    If I was younger I would invest it in the Vanguard all stock market index fund and forget it. VTSMX
    Last edited by Bassin08; 10-28-2021 at 06:17 PM.

18. idbefishing
    Microsoft and if Amazon ever do a split, I’m gonna go all in.

Following
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    If I was younger I would invest it in the Vanguard all stock market index fund and forget it. VTSMX
    That is what Warren Buffet recommends for most investors. A split between that and the total bond fund (although he recommended this before rates were in the basement).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast