Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    How does one know how long a “new” impeller has been on the shelf ? Sounds like even a new impeller could be degraded due to aging.
    Good question. As long as the impeller is stored in an appropriate environment (out of the sun, dry area, reasonable ambient temperatures), an impeller does not degrade significantly while hanging or sitting on the shelf for even 4-5 years.

Once installed in a housing: The blades are flexed significantly, and the impeller blades can take a "set" to the housing even if never used. Mercury determined that 2 years from install date (in the housing) even without being run, results in enough deterioration in the resilience of the blades/tension to require replacement. And yes, this does contradict the "3 year" service interval listed for some engines.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Don I have done alot of impeller on all the bass club boats and word of mouth to put some gas money in the old pocket anyway have you ever had trouble with aftermarket. I have friend that runs repair shop and dad before him yrs.of exp.and he was telling me he quit with aftermarket impeller s cause he's seen the center piece come unbonded from the rubber .what's your experience

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have seen a number of hub-blade separations over the years on Aftermarket impellers.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks, good to get second opinion I'll never buy another one

5. Member
    Don thanks for the info on this, greatly appreciated.

6. Member
    Was going to wait until 300 hrs, to replace impeller. it's a 2013 175 Verado with 135 hrs on it. living in the North land, don't put many hrs on it. going to take Don's advice and change it out.

7. Member
    My 2020 Merc 250 hp has 260 hours. Right before I hit 180 hours, I lost a little water pressure. Would normally show 20-25 PSI at 5,000 RPM. It now shows around 15-17 PSI at 5,000 RPM. I keep my Smart Craft on engine temp at all times....still running around 140 degrees F. Getting close to 300 hours and changing it out. I reckon they will change the impellar and housing.

8. Member
    So the question is did Mercury go to a far inferior product to save $$?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger123 View Post
    So the question is did Mercury go to a far inferior product to save $$?
    Dodger- that seems like a pretty random question, and doesn't seem to apply to the topic.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Dodger- that seems like a pretty random question, and doesn't seem to apply to the topic.
    I feel that it's questionable in quality if the recommendation to replace the impeller is before the recommended time that is in our owners manual. In the past I would change my impellers as soon as I observed lower flow about every 3 years with 130-150 hours per season. Now on a brand new 40/hp motor we are talking replacement of the impeller 3/4's of the way through a season but my Vessel View is showing another 175 hours before replacement?

My thought is you have "hands on " experience so it's frustrating that Mercury has obviously went to an inferior product/part.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger123 View Post
    I feel that it's questionable in quality if the recommendation to replace the impeller is before the recommended time that is in our owners manual. In the past I would change my impellers as soon as I observed lower flow about every 3 years with 130-150 hours per season. Now on a brand new 40/hp motor we are talking replacement of the impeller 3/4's of the way through a season but my Vessel View is showing another 175 hours before replacement?

My thought is you have "hands on " experience so it's frustrating that Mercury has obviously went to an inferior product/part.
    Totally baseless. Re-read the early posts- there has been no
    change in the product- only in the maintenance interval recommendation.

12. Member
    As the old saying goes: Pay me now or pay me later!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12