Does Livescope resolution improve with better head units?

I've heard that the Livescope GLS10 sends the same exact video signal out to any head unit. I run a EchoMap 93UHD and some of the videos of folks running the Ultras or GPSMap units their Livescope resolution "appears" to look so much better? (granted I've never seen an Ultra or GPSMap Livescope in person)

So does the head unit make a difference or not?
    2013 Skeeter MX1825 with Yammy F150 & Garmin Ultra 106sv & LVS34 Livescope

"My hotfoot pedal goes to 11"

Resolution is better in the higer end MFD’s.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    Hey guys,
    First time poster here but been part of the site for +\- 6 months. I had the same concern as the original poster and looking for someone with any and all feedback. What until would he considered the “best” head unit for Livescope 32? The wife, after months of begging and completing honey do’s, has approved the purchase of new boat electronics. I plan on purchasing around Christmas, or at least when some reasonable sales start (assuming we have any sales on nice units due to supply chain issues).

Thanks,
    Jeff

4. Banned
    A friend and I have run my 8612 and his 12" Echo Map Ultra unit side by side and I can see no difference in the two with LS. With the GT56 transducer there is some difference in the details one can see.

The most popular unit for LS only installs, according to my installer, is the 1222 non-touch because of price. I'm betting the image is the same across the board on the larger units.

5. Member
    Pfisher, thank you for that feedback!

Any others have input or feedback?
    Last edited by CamoDawg85; 10-07-2021 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Spelling

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDawg85 View Post
    Pfisher, thank you for that feedback!

Any others have input or feedback?
    Your welcome. As a side note I'm getting a new boat and going with the Echo Map on the LS. I only use the Garmin for LS and the Echo Map is much lighter than the 8612. Now that I know there is no difference in the image I would rather have less weight in the front. If I thought it was worth it the 8612 would be staying.

7. Member
    I didn’t think about the weight aspect but that’s a great point. I have heard people say their unit “popped out” of the mount or holder and I imagine the heavier the unit is, the easier it is to hop out.

8. Member
    Pfisher, sorry, one more question if you have experience. What about side scan image quality? Does it improve with a higher end unit or is it comparable between say a UHD and GPSMAP?

9. Banned
    I didn’t think about the weight aspect but that’s a great point. I have heard people say their unit “popped out” of the mount or holder and I imagine the heavier the unit is, the easier it is to hop out.
    The 8612 doesn't have the quick release. If folks are having the Echo Map Ultra units "pop out" they don't have the fully latched down. You literally have to release the latch to take the unit out. My buddy runs wide open in very rough water. If his has stayed in place then it's over engineered.

I have just a little time between the two and si. We put the gt56 on a pole and idled by the same structure. They both look OK but the 8612 has a much finer screen and looks a little better to me. They are both way better than anything Garmin has had, but they aren't Humminbird Si quality either. We are planning to try it again at some point but just haven't made it out together yet.

FYI Echo Map and GPS map won't communicate according to Garmin Tech. My buddy was thinking about running an 8612 at the helm and his Ultra at the front. I think they missed the boat here by not letting them share waypoints at the least. All the other brands will share waypoints between models.

10. Member
    Well dayum! Didn’t realize they couldn’t talk. I see that as a big miss as that’s a similar setup I was thinking about doing. 2 UHD’s at the console with a GPSMAP model of sorts, likely 12”, at the bow. Now I need to rethink all of that….hmmm…..

Thank you, PFisher. More stuff to reconsider. Am still very much leaning towards Garmin though.

11. Banned
    Well dayum! Didn’t realize they couldn’t talk. I see that as a big miss as that’s a similar setup I was thinking about doing. 2 UHD’s at the console with a GPSMAP model of sorts, likely 12”, at the bow. Now I need to rethink all of that….hmmm…..

Thank you, PFisher. More stuff to reconsider. Am still very much leaning towards Garmin though.
    If I was going Garmin right now it would me all Echo Map Ultras after seeing them in action. I do agree on the inability to at least share waypoints between Ultra and GPS Map units is a huge miss. An 8612 at the console with two EMU 12 units mixed in would be a good combination.

I run two Solix at the console and a helix/garmin at the bow. I use a helix at the bow for mapping/ mega 360 but most of the time crappie fishing it's just on mapping. It's a great combination for crappie fishing as I get the live sonar and the best in imaging. I have tried the 8612 with the GT 56 at the console and imaging wise it's just not there yet for what I do with my units. There are also some features on the Solix that I like.

12. Member
    Thanks Pfisher. Good stuff. Lots to think about after asking some questions.