Question Adding heat to gel coat repair

If I were to add heat to a gel coat repair (hair dryer) will that speed up the curing process? I had to repair a few dings in my hull before my next tournament this weekend and am a bit behind the clock on the cure time. From what I understand, it takes about 24 hrs to cure if mixed correctly. Can I speed up the cure time with some light heat? I also live in a location where the air temp is about 60 degrees which I assume is also not working in my favor.

2. Member
    You really want a heat source that will give more heat but for a longer time …….. hairdryer is a no no …. You need to be in the ballpark of mid seventies foe a sustained amount of time.

What do you suggest?
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos3317 View Post
    You really want a heat source that will give more heat but for a longer time …….. hairdryer is a no no …. You need to be in the ballpark of mid seventies foe a sustained amount of time.

4. Member
    shop light that has halogen bulbs works well. Don't put it too close, you want it warm, not hot. In winter I use ceramic heaters and plastic car cover and tape up an area around repair with heater under it and it makes it kinda like a hot air balloon so I don't have to run shop heat all night.

My issue is that I need the boat tomorrow. If it's not completely set, I'm assuming it will turn to goo? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? I know that's probably a stupid question... Just looking for anything I can do at this point.

6. Member
    Should set already, even at 60 degrees. 2% catalyst would harden it in 15 minutes at 60 degrees. If the material had age and it was not stirred well before pouring off what you needed for the repair it may never cure. Sunlight or as suggested a shop lite will set most gelcoat. Was wax added to the gelcoat? No wax the gelcoat won't cure on the surface sometimes for days assuming everything else was done right.

As stated above it shoulda cured….if you didn’t add wax you may can save the job with some PVA sprayed over the top…?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member
    Add more mekp. You need to cut the air off, and wax in gel is a joke. Get some PVA.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

So for future reference you are saying that you should not use a heat lamp to help dry the gelcoat? I plan on doing some touch up to my hull and planned on using a heat lamp to help the drying process, as the temps are starting to fall here.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

With a lot of experience I do and I will however without the experience I would choose to make my repairs at other times or conditions. I don’t not advertise gel repair or do I give much advice as what’s works today may vary “some” tomorrow based on conditions. My opinion….
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. Member
    Get some PVA, 100 percent better than a heat lamp. The PVA will wash off with water, your spray gun will wash out with water. But, don't was it off the gel, when you wet sand it , it will help the sanding start off smooth, slippery. With PVA it will cure in no time, heat lamp= forever, and it won't sand as easy.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR