Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

360 (original non-mega) Won't Load

4 networked Helix 10 Gen 1s (3 sonar GPS and 1 SI model )
    My 360 will not load onto unit it's connected to. It usually takes 1 to 3 minutes to connect on the network to display on unit. Today it will never connect ( Accessory Test screen says Unconnected). The unit beside the unit I use for 360 says "Cannot find DI" and Cannot find SI, Turn Off?" The other desired info I want on my dedicated 360 Helix (Temp and GPS) loads and shares immediately to other units in the manner I have them set up on my Network menu. But 360 won't even connect to my dedicated unit. Other units I share 360 to are aware it's supposed to be there because they say they can't find 360.
    Also, as soon as I go to the Network menu in my 360 wired unit, it immediately freezes to where I cannot move the cursor to check or uncheck boxes. All buttons don't work and I literally have to unplug and replug the cable collector to get unit turned off to turn back on.
    I switched front head units to see if that would correct anything and it didn't. I've tried various orders of turning on the 4 networked units but nothing works. I've been hoping 360 would wake up all day. This has happened before but it always ends up working. In fact tonight I might go out there and 360 will connect first time. But I'm not certain of that.

Why the inconsistency with loading 360?
    The 5 port ethernet box has the 4 units and the 360. The "Begin pinging 360" question never appears. Networked units are looking for it but never connect to it.

I had a thread on here recently about my 360 leaking oil. And it still is. But that shouldn't have anything to do with it not loading onto Helix.

I have 1.83 update. All other settings on units and networking amongst the units appear functional. I restored defaults on unit that 360 displays to. No change.

Any suggestion are much appreciated.

You have a faulty Ethernet connection if devices don't ever get recognized.
    Once a unit has detected the 360, it does not forget it has and will remain listed in the Network menu until you do a Restore Defaults. Then it has to be recognized again to be listed again.
    Since it is an Ethernet device, it does take a few minutes to be recognized and so will all the units that are networked to detect each other.

Your freezing unit is typically due to low voltage so you can start there to verify proper power.
    AND check power to the Ethernet Switch.
    You can direct connect the 360 to a display to determine if the 360 will be recognized at least once.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne I'll check that out!! I'll have to get under tm pedal in the daylight to access my 5 port ethernet box and fuse box. I used my 360 as recently as Friday and fished a 2 day tournament Saturday and Sunday but never turned on 360 unit either day. Both days I made long runs. Could the 360 pod oil leak lead to a blown fuse? Do I literally just check the 360 connection to ethernet box to make sure it's not loose? Those things appear pretty tight and solid into the ethernet box to me. I've never seen a "switch" that everybody mentions. I just power on my control heads and they start communicating after a few minutes along with 360. I really wouldn't care if 360 was connected to only the unit up front and not the network. It's only useful when tm deployed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Thanks Wayne I'll check that out!! I'll have to get under tm pedal in the daylight to access my 5 port ethernet box and fuse box. I used my 360 as recently as Friday and fished a 2 day tournament Saturday and Sunday but never turned on 360 unit either day. Both days I made long runs. Could the 360 pod oil leak lead to a blown fuse? Do I literally just check the 360 connection to ethernet box to make sure it's not loose? Those things appear pretty tight and solid into the ethernet box to me. I've never seen a "switch" that everybody mentions. I just power on my control heads and they start communicating after a few minutes along with 360. I really wouldn't care if 360 was connected to only the unit up front and not the network. It's only useful when tm deployed anyway.
    The acoustic oil is for transmitting sonar pulses to the pod housing that has water contact, shouldn't affect the power.

A proper installation of the 360 and MEGA 360 is a disconnect switch and fuse on the power cable. Same for the Ethernet Switch.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Once a unit has detected the 360, it does not forget it has and will remain listed in the Network menu until you do a Restore Defaults. Then it has to be recognized again to be listed again.
    Since it is an Ethernet device, it does take a few minutes to be recognized and so will all the units that are networked to detect each other.

Your freezing unit is typically due to low voltage so you can start there to verify proper power.
    You can direct connect the 360 to a display to determine if the 360 will be recognized at least once.
    The bite I'd better during the day. You can get top water Bute some if in right areas first thing in morning. But I've noticed bite actually being better from 10:30 on. Lot of people have said that. I haven't seen where the stripers are catchable on top water at all. Never know when that'll start up though. I'll keep looking

6. Member
    Sorry that was an accident. Ignore that

7. Member

The bow unit my 360 is plugged to has over 13 volts and I wouldn't think power is the issue as to why it won't load my 360. It's not freezing up on the network screen as it was last time I posted. I even turned all other units off and outboard on so that it indicated 13.5 volts on that unit. And it still never loads 360. My ethernet communication between all other units displaying views is totally fine. My 360 will not connect or share in any way. I don't hear it running either of course. I checked the fuse box fuse and it's fine. Power getting to that fuse box bank as well. Obviously the ethernet box is getting power. Made sure everything was tight and secure. I understand what you said regarding proper installation being a dedicated switch. I guess I don't have that since I just have a switch on my battery that gives power in the boat that includes the ethernet box and 360. But they are properly fused. And it's always worked before. You mentioned that I could direct connect the 360 to a display to see if it will be recognized at least once.
    How can I do that? Do I disconnect from ethernet? Which plug in back of my dedicated 360 unit is the 360? Or is it just an ethernet plug?

The bow unit my 360 is plugged to has over 13 volts and I wouldn't think power is the issue as to why it won't load my 360. It's not freezing up on the network screen as it was last time I posted. I even turned all other units off and outboard on so that it indicated 13.5 volts on that unit. And it still never loads 360. My ethernet communication between all other units displaying views is totally fine. My 360 will not connect or share in any way. I don't hear it running either of course. I checked the fuse box fuse and it's fine. Power getting to that fuse box bank as well. Obviously the ethernet box is getting power. Made sure everything was tight and secure. I understand what you said regarding proper installation being a dedicated switch. I guess I don't have that since I just have a switch on my battery that gives power in the boat that includes the ethernet box and 360. But they are properly fused. And it's always worked before. You mentioned that I could direct connect the 360 to a display to see if it will be recognized at least once.
    How can I do that? Do I disconnect from ethernet? Which plug in back of my dedicated 360 unit is the 360? Or is it just an ethernet plug?
    The Ethernet port is beside the Transducer port and there is an Ethernet Adapter connected to that. The Ethernet cable attaches to the Ethernet Adapter (shiny metal threaded plug) so that is what you separate to connect another Ethernet cable to.

Helix units use a quick disconnect plug block to hold the cable plugs. SOLIX units have a metal threaded port that an Ethernet cable will connect directly to.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    I’m running the non mega 360 with a single Onix and 2 999 units on the network. My 360 is not found by any unit during normal power up my systems. What I found is that a disconnect and reconnect of the 360 power after all other components have been operational allows the 360 to be recognized.

This may sound weird but this is how I get my 360 to operate at every outing. Inconvenience but it works.

This is the power cable connector to my 360 that I disconnect and reconnect. Being a discontinued unit I don’t expect a better solution from Humminbird.

17C7BA82-8B25-4978-A64D-6A537D19AB1D.jpeg

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tajchauvin View Post
    I’m running the non mega 360 with a single Onix and 2 999 units on the network. My 360 is not found by any unit during normal power up my systems. What I found is that a disconnect and reconnect of the 360 power after all other components have been operational allows the 360 to be recognized.

This may sound weird but this is how I get my 360 to operate at every outing. Inconvenience but it works.

This is the power cable connector to my 360 that I disconnect and reconnect. Being a discontinued unit I don’t expect a better solution from Humminbird.

17C7BA82-8B25-4978-A64D-6A537D19AB1D.jpeg
    Thanks for sharing. I will try this when I have access to my boat this weekend. I disconnected and reconnected that plug yesterday just to make sure it wasn't somehow loose. But don't think I did that AFTER other units were on and communicating. I was only trying to get the 360 to appear on my bow unit while sitting at dock. I doubt this fixes it but who knows. Thanks again

11. Member
    The Ethernet port is beside the Transducer port and there is an Ethernet Adapter connected to that. The Ethernet cable attaches to the Ethernet Adapter (shiny metal threaded plug) so that is what you separate to connect another Ethernet cable to.

Helix units use a quick disconnect plug block to hold the cable plugs. SOLIX units have a metal threaded port that an Ethernet cable will connect directly to.
    Just to clarify if I'm understanding correctly.
    In doing this I'm testing to see if that specific ethernet port is dysfunctional? I'll switch the current 360 metal plug to my other networked bow unit ethernet.
    But I wanted to add that the external gps/heading that's plugged into the unit that should get 360 is still being shared with my other bow unit. Wouldn't that verify that the ethernet port it's currently hooked to works? I do understand that external GPS puck is directly connected to the unit. But since the unit shares that external GPS right now, I figured the ethernet works. Just wondering. I still plan on doing what you said.

12. Member

I switched ethernet ports of my bow units just to make sure. No change in anything. 360 is not recognized by either unit. I do not audibly hear the 360 pod running. But I think it is kind of warm to the touch. Not hot or anything. Just warm. I'm confident the ethernet ports are working correctly because they share gps/heading data and water temp to all networked units. I had a bad starter battery last weekend and just procured a new one to install this weekend (my units run off my starter battery). It wasn't charging correctly. Maybe when I install this new battery it will make some kind of difference. But I'm doubtful. I was hoping maybe a little more juice would trigger something with the 360 starting up and unit recognizing it. But I don't know what I'm talking about.

On another note: Several weeks back I started a thread about this same 360 leaking oil and had repeated problems in stopping it. I still think this issue somehow is related to it not starting up now. But I'm sure Wayne is right in that this is somehow a power issue. I never altered any internals inside the pod. I just gave myself some wire slack by pulling the two wires through the grommet and further down into the pod pointer so that I could comfortably remove the pod and have it sitting directly vertical on my deck (trolling motor stowed) since the boat was floating while I was working on this. But several weeks ago I witnessed it working even though it was leaking oil. I FINALLY got the leak resolved. I removed the JB weld from around the wire that was loose enough to allow drops of oil around it. Cleaned it up and applied 5 minute epoxy instead. That's what I should have used the first time. So if anyone ever has that issue, don't use JB Weld. a thin coat of epoxy all around the wire where it enters the top of the pod is all that's needed. But none of this is relevant if I can't ever see 360 on my screen again.

13. Member
    Update on this issue. With the new battery installed nothing changed with loading 360. It is not recognized by the unit. I have tested 13 volts going to the power source with voltage meter. Pod feels warm when you lay your palm on bottom of it. But I know the pod isn't spinning inside because I could always hear and feel it. Pic included to show the 360 power plug I tested. If the pod is warm then it has to be getting power to it doesn't it? I've just about exhausted everything I know to check and understand before removing 360 and taking to have serviced someplace.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    I would say yes warm is an indication it’s getting power. If so it sounds as if it is a stuck transducer or 360 spin is not turned on. I can actually hear mine spinning when it is active.

15. Member
    I would say yes warm is an indication it’s getting power. If so it sounds as if it is a stuck transducer or 360 spin is not turned on. I can actually hear mine spinning when it is active.
    Is there a setting I'm missing regarding "spin?" Because I'm certain it's not spinning in that pod. I used to be able to feel it and hear it.

Is there a setting I'm missing regarding "spin?" Because I'm certain it's not spinning in that pod. I used to be able to feel it and hear it.
    360 Pinging---ON starts the transducer rotation.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    If you put the graph in side imaging mode and select settings there should be a option to turn off rotate. This allows you to use the 360 as a side image transducer.

If you put the graph in side imaging mode and select settings there should be a option to turn off rotate. This allows you to use the 360 as a side image transducer.
    You only get to use the 360 as a Side Imaging source if SI source in the Network Source menu has 360 selected.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Thanks for that info fellas but my bow unit that receives the 360 is not even connecting to it. That same unit is sharing its external antenna data appropriately to the unit beside it. In the Network Menu, 360 is grayed out. It's been this way for weeks now. 13 volts going to the 360 power plug. 360 pod is warm to the touch but not spinning in there. The standard message I used to get, "Begin pinging 360 (Yes or No), never appears. I used to select "Yes" and the 360 screen appeared and the pod revved up and the 360 display would begin reading the surroundings.
    I cut all my zip ties on tm steering cable and removed the stick and pod with its two wires that come out top of stick (ethernet plug and power plug) from its bracket and brought home. I assume that's all I need to take to my local authorized hummingbird dealer for them to check it out?

20. Member
    I called my local Humminbird dealer and they said they aren't allowed to touch the Mega and non-Mega 360s. Is that possible? Every issue has to be shipped back to the main headquarters?

Also, I have a friend that has Mega 360 running off his Gen 3 Helix. Can I hook up my non-Mega power and ethernet and see if it somehow loads on his?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast