ZX250 Rod Locker Modifications and Keeping Water Out

I've struggled to organize the 20-30 rods I keep in my ZX250. Wondering if you could upload any photos you may have of the organizational methods/modifications you've come up with. I'm not a huge fan of the rod tubes and I'm trying to find the best way to "stack" my rods without piling them all on top of one another. I have a 2017 ZX250 which comes with the large, plastic piece to set the butt of your rods on. Not really a fan. Wondering if others have modified their setups.

Also, how are we to keep water out of our compartments? I've tried the Ameriseal thing and still no luck. Water finds its way in to most all my compartments after a heavy rain, washing, or wave spearing. Also, is it just me or does the dry dock fan do nothing?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyeska View Post
    I've struggled to organize the 20-30 rods I keep in my ZX250. Wondering if you could upload any photos you may have of the organizational methods/modifications you've come up with. I'm not a huge fan of the rod tubes and I'm trying to find the best way to "stack" my rods without piling them all on top of one another. I have a 2017 ZX250 which comes with the large, plastic piece to set the butt of your rods on. Not really a fan. Wondering if others have modified their setups.

Also, how are we to keep water out of our compartments? I've tried the Ameriseal thing and still no luck. Water finds its way in to most all my compartments after a heavy rain, washing, or wave spearing. Also, is it just me or does the dry dock fan do nothing?
    You're right the dry dock fan really doesn't do much at all. As far as rod organization I have a 2019 and it's just one big mega tube. I can fit a lot of rods in there but I stack them. I either organize them with the shorter rods on the bottom and longer on top or I'll stack them from least used to most used.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

3. Member
    I have a 2015 zx225. I removed all the tubes and the butt holders. I only use the port locker. I installed a piece of pipe insulation over the end of the carpet section at the front. I use rod gloves on my rods. I can carry over 40 but normally it’s 25. I use two bath towels in the locker to separate the layers and pad the reels. Load the ones I don’t plan on using on the bottom, add a towel then my backups. Lastly another towel with my rods for the day on top.

4. Member
    Regarding keeping the lockers dry, I had the same issue on my 2020 ZX. Looking I found none of latches were tightened down enough to securely close the hatch lids. Adjusted the latch bars. Got them tight enough for a slight effort to close the hatches. Try it you'll like the results.

Also found that for all practical purposes all the screws securing the deck and the hatch lids to the deck frame were loose. Tightened them also. Get a T20 bit and a 5/16 socket or wrench. I've heard of guys putting silicon under the screws, but didn't look necessary so I didn't.

Eliminated 95% of the issue. The rod locker on the starboard side gets a little water in it. I think the drain hole on the deck is in the wrong place and drains into that box.