Is a Honda 130 four stroke to heavy for a stratus 268?

Hey all - I just installed a Bf130a on my stratus. I’ve never any problems with Honda’s (quads,side by side) ,which is why I put it on my stratus. I took it out yesterday and it just seems really heavy? It’s a four stroke which probably explains a little extra wait but it’s roughly 170 pounds more the my 115 rude 2 stroke . Is this something I should be worried abouts as far as swamping my boat? Also- if I ease into the throttle, it wants to shoot the bow of the boat strait up? Should I just gun it, instead of easing into it? Thx

2. Banned
    What HP is the hull rated for? Is it rated for a 130?

It’s rated for 140 but the 268 is only 16’8”. I thought it would be fine considering it’s rated for more then 130, but I think the Honda is probably the heaviest outboard out there! I guess I should’ve looked at how heavy it actually was! The Yamaha 130 is only 319 pounds, which is the same weight of the 2 stroke 115 I took off. I’m thinking if I just ease the throttle back slowly when I’m coming off plane , and remember to turn the bildge pumps on!!! I should be fine . Right?

4. Banned
    And if you are fishing by yourself, never go stand on the back deck. It just might sink you. Be careful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bensjammin View Post
    It’s rated for 140 but the 268 is only 16’8”. I thought it would be fine considering it’s rated for more then 130, but I think the Honda is probably the heaviest outboard out there! I guess I should’ve looked at how heavy it actually was! The Yamaha 130 is only 319 pounds, which is the same weight of the 2 stroke 115 I took off. I’m thinking if I just ease the throttle back slowly when I’m coming off plane , and remember to turn the bildge pumps on!!! I should be fine . Right?
    bump the throttle when sitting down off plane
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Illinifish- pretty sure I understand, do you mean bump the throttle up rpms when the boat is coming off plane?

If so , what are we taking rpm wise? .5,1?

8. Banned
    Sounds like you will be in trouble if you have to get off the throttle in a hurry. If you have to bump the throttle every time you get off of a plane, something isn't right.

Good news all!- Took the boat out today on the lake. Gets up on plane super quick and goes! If I come down off of plain very gently, and then bump the throttle a little bit I’m fine. I went up on plane at least 15 times today, not one drop of water.I had it maxed out at 6200, TopSpeed 49? I feel like I should be getting more speed with that size of boat and that horsepower? Any thoughts?

Also- I’m sure it has to do with the idiot that I bought the boat from! He’s got more lights on this boat than a damn UFO. He’s also got five marine batteries on board! My plan is to take three of them off of there and replace it with a lithium. I think the speed is probably the prop that’s on that motor I bought. Do you guys know what pitch and angle of prop I should buy for that boat and that engine?

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensjammin View Post
    Good news all!- Took the boat out today on the lake. Gets up on plane super quick and goes! If I come down off of plain very gently, and then bump the throttle a little bit I’m fine. I went up on plane at least 15 times today, not one drop of water.I had it maxed out at 6200, TopSpeed 49? I feel like I should be getting more speed with that size of boat and that horsepower? Any thoughts?
    There is a reason you don't see many Honda outboards on bass boats. They are reliable but are heavy and aren't as performance oriented as the Mercs and Yamahas. 49 MPH actually isn't to bad with that motor.

Thanks for the reply but when I switch the 3 batteries out with a lithium, which only weighs 16.8 pounds, I will actually be lighter than a Merc 135. I have a 680 and a side-by-side Honda, you can’t beat the reliability. Considering how much these damn things cost, I think I’ll take the reliability! Lol.

II noticed your on line, got any suggestions on a prop?