Question One long beep alarm and fuel pumps come on. 2001 200hp Optimax 3.0

2001 200hp Optimax. Alarm came on along with Engine Data Bus on the SmartCraft tach. Engine shut down after almost a minute after the alarm came on. Was able to restart. Ran fine for 30 seconds and then alarm and shutdown again. Engine will not start now. When I turn the key on the normal one beep is not there,but the Engine Data Bus message is cleared. If I leave the key on for about 60 seconds, the alarm comes back on again, the fuel pumps, both hi and lo, come on for about a minute with the alarm, the Engine Data Bus msg comes back on, and then it stops and starts the alarm and pumps again. This continues until I turn off the key. What could cause the alarm to come on AND the fuel pumps to run. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    check all batt connections ,clean and spread pins on cannon plug , inspect main power relay connector and replace relay , check for loose grounds also on mtr
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    check all batt connections ,clean and spread pins on cannon plug , inspect main power relay connector and replace relay , check for loose grounds also on mtr
    ^^^^^ This!

Also- If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I FOUND TH PROBLEM!
    2001 200HP OPTIMAX SN 0T303667
    I checked the batteries, cables, connections and main power relay. All good but the problem remained.
    I finally swapped ecms with the starboard engine and the problem followed. I have a bad ECM. Need this one fixed or replaced. PN 859610R72. Suggestions are welcome!

5. Member
    I FOUND THE PROBLEM!
    2001 200HP OPTIMAX SN 0T303667
    I checked the batteries, cables, connections and main power relay. All good but the problem remained.
    I finally swapped ecms with the starboard engine and the problem followed. I have a bad ECM. Need this one fixed or replaced. PN 859610R72. Suggestions are welcome!

6. Member
    I believe Simmons rebuilds them
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    Simons
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rebuild (as suggested above) or new replacement.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    i found a decent used ECM close to home but it is for a 2006 200hp Opti. Will this work on my 2001 200HP Opti?
    I also found a 225HP ECM with the same base PN as my 200Hp. Mine is an 859610 R72 and the 225hp ECM is a 859610 A43. Will either of them work?
    Can you swap out ECMS from different years as long as they are newer?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, it must be the CORRECT PCM for that engine (there are several part numbers in the lineup).

You have a PM with info.