Thread: 2003 vmax hpdi

2003 vmax hpdi

Purchasing a skeeter zx225 that is in the process of getting a brand new power head installed (cylinder 3 has zero compression. Question is is it smart buying a boat that is getting new power head installed? Motor is 2003 Yamaha vmax 225 hpdi.

2. Member
    I have an '05 225hp HPDI, that I am preparing to send off to Hydrotec. I would have a lot of questions in your shoes.

Who is putting the new powerhead on, and are they experts with this motor?
    What caused the original failure, and what are they doing to fix it?
    Is it a fully OEM powerhead, or an aftermarket?
    What precautions are being taken beyond fixing the root cause? Think filters, fuel pumps, ect.
    Will it be broken in when you receive it?

3. Member
    I’m pretty sure it’s getting a jasper power head. They said it was going to be fixed when I pick it up. I’m going to try it out and do a compression test before I buy. It’s getting fixed by a skeeter dealership.

4. Member
    My biggest question I would have is why the original one failed and what they are doing to prevent the new one from the same thing. If it failed due to a lean injector, but they don't fix the injector, and just put a new powerhead on it, then the new powerhead will have the same fate as the last one.

5. Member
    What kind of warranty on powerhead

6. Member
    I have a series 2 hpdi 250. The original motor popped with 252 hours. Yamaha series 1 pistons are junk, I hope the series 2 is better. Get a quality aftermarket piston. You'll be better off. My humble opinion.

7. Member
    Jaspers come with a 1 year parts and labor warranty.

8. Member
    You can install the series 2 update to the series 1 hpdi, via yamaha support tec. I think he said a software update and higher volume oil pump. It has been several years ago, but you had to give yamaha the serial number and they could tell you what is needed. Good luck