198P fuel gauge question

I have a 2017 198P. The fuel gauge is not working. It’s stuck on half a tank. How do I determine if it’s the gauge or the sensor in the tank? Thanks, Allen

I would check your connections on the gauge first. Make sure you have a good ground. If you can change he ohms on the sensor wire that will let you know where the problem is as the tank sensor changes the OHMS with the fuel level.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    Bob, thank you so much for the suggestion. I will follow your guidance, check it out and let you know the results. I prefer to fix stuff at home if I can. It’s not about the money, I just hate taking the time to strip the boat of tackle, rods, gear etc, and leave it at the dealer. I just had a friend drop off his Ranger at our local boat shop and they must have run a forklift into the cowl. He showed up to pick up the boat and the cowl was destroyed. They denied damaging it. Accused him of dropping it off that way. Horrible.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    Bob, thank you so much for the suggestion. I will follow your guidance, check it out and let you know the results. I prefer to fix stuff at home if I can. It’s not about the money, I just hate taking the time to strip the boat of tackle, rods, gear etc, and leave it at the dealer. I just had a friend drop off his Ranger at our local boat shop and they must have run a forklift into the cowl. He showed up to pick up the boat and the cowl was destroyed. They denied damaging it. Accused him of dropping it off that way. Horrible.
    Pretty awful that a dealer would deny damage they caused but I once had a similar situation where my trailer tongue was obviously bent and it sure wasn't that way when I dropped it off.