Crestliner CS16SS - Prop Slip

I bought a Crestliner CS16SS with a Honda 9.9. I realize I am not going to be moving fast, especially with my fat ass up front, but I am getting a ton of prop slip.

Prop - 10 pitch
    Gear Ratio - 2.33
    RPM - 5000
    MPH - 8

Prop slip - 61%

Any ideas to get that a bit lower? The current prop is a china aluminum knock off(but in perfect condition), was thinking going down a 9 pitch stainless.

2. Member
    The 9 with big blades if available. If you have a 3 blade try 4 blade if available.

3. Member
    You're moving at above (displacement) hull speed and below planing speed, so it's going to be as inefficient as possible. Bigger motor to get it to plane, or just chill and run it at about 5mph.

4. Member
    You're moving at above (displacement) hull speed and below planing speed, so it's going to be as inefficient as possible. Bigger motor to get it to plane, or just chill and run it at about 5mph.
    That pretty much sums it up, I threw a couple props at it (because they are CHEAP!)

Honda 9 pitch stainless - same numbers as the aluminum 10p
    Solas sailboat prop - 7 pitch 4 blade huge surface area - 8mph - half rpm handles extremely weird in reverse, the prop is made to have as much force backwards as forward.

The 9 and 10 were pretty much the same, I kept the stainless on, might as well look pretty. Was worth the 100 bucks to know its as fast as it is getting.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Any idea of what your boat weighs? And how high is your motor mounted on your transom? Seems a shame you can’t quite get on plane. I have a smaller boat than yours with a 9.9 Merc and it goes 18 mph. I assume the SS is for stick steer?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    700 pounds empty
    100 - 9.9 honda + 3 gallons gas
    80 - ultrex
    60 - 1 group 27
    40 2 50ah lithiums
    75 random gear + fishing stuff

1055 total + my fat ass up front

Its stick steer, and the motor is most likely way to deep.

It would be an interesting experiment if there was a way for you to operate the boat from the back, just to see if the change in weight distribution would help it get on plane. Otherwise there’s probably no way a 9.9 and aluminum prop will have enough lift to raise the front end enough. Your 9.9 weighs even more than mine, I start lifting weights each spring before I go to Canada so that I can lift my slug onto the transom of my boat, while it is in the water and tied to the dock.

8. Member
    I have moved to the back seat, the bow lifts but it wont get out of the hole. (it is only 8mph I just tied a string to the kill switch and walked to the back while I had a lot of open water)

1055 lbs. plus driver is a ton of weight, I assume you are hp limited?

10. Member
    Yup, 10hp limited - figured it was worth a few bucks to play with a prop or 2. Never expected much more and 9mph seems to be the limit.

I will happily give up the speed for not having traffic, people, ski boats and all the other junk. After spending all the years in AZ playing go fishing at 3am to get there before the ski boats... then the surf boats... it is so much nicer to have calm. I was the only boat on the lake last time I went, is the fishing great not really but I have not been skunked yet and got a 4.5lb lmb which they say is a monster for the little lakes I have been fishing. Next up repurpose all my big swimbait gear for musky!