Thread: 2014 pro xs psi

2014 pro xs psi

2B013754
    2014 mercury 150 ProXS opti
    tempest 24p
    5000 rpm
    idle 1 psi wot 12
    my question is anything above 1/4 trim my wot psi drops to under 10 psi and my rpm is 4900 so is there something I can try to increase my psi and rpms. There’s more trim there and speed but the psi is under what it should be. Thanks for the help

2. Member
    lower mtr ,lower pitch
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Is this a "new" problem on a boat/engine combo you have owned for some time, or a problem with a "new to you" engine or boat?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    This is on a boat motor I’ve had for awhile. Always had low water psi when over1/4 trim and Rpms 5100 or5200 at best . I was hoping if I could get a little more trim and and a couple 100 rpms I could increase my top end. Thanks guys for your help

5. Member
    i have the exact same engine. i run a 23P tempest plus. you may be over propped to start with. What are you reading your psi from? I wouldn't trust the gauge at your console.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgr57 View Post
    This is on a boat motor I’ve had for awhile. Always had low water psi when over1/4 trim and Rpms 5100 or5200 at best . I was hoping if I could get a little more trim and and a couple 100 rpms I could increase my top end. Thanks guys for your help

6. Member
    You right I get the psi from the gauge at the console . At wot open its around 16 psi until I get about 1/4 trim it will drop to 10

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do you have a jackplate on your boat (unclear what boat)?

Have you confirmed the throttle is actually reaching the WOT Position (especially important with a hotfoot)?

I agree that you are very likely over-propped, but need to know the above items.

Also: RPM's and Water Pressure really do need to come from a Smartcraft Instrument or Display (even the Vessel View Mobile would do it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    2014 nitro Z7. No jackplate or hotfoot. Thanks for the suggestion I ordered the Vessel view mobile