Thread: AGS guides

Question AGS guides

I have had AGS guides for a couple years, I just bought a new Steez ML spinning from the Tackle Trap, and loving this rod. The documents with the rod state to keep the Braid to leader knot outside the guides. Now on my other AGS rods I must have ignored this document. I have probably 1,000 upon 1,000 casts with my 7-6 ml with AGS, and a 10-12 ft leader to a FG braid (6lb flouro to 10 YGK). I am not detecting any issues.

So what is the actual problem with the braid to flouro connection that they put this warning document with the rod? they really do not say why?

2. Member
    In my opinion this is a general statement by Daiwa to cover their butts a bit. I would think that for smaller line diameters and appropriate connections knots (ie FG knot), it is fine to run the knot through the guides. I personally stay away from running anything above 14# FC/Mono connection knots through the guides of my AGS rods.

Curious to hear other people's input on this, since I might be more careful than others.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    In my opinion this is a general statement by Daiwa to cover their butts a bit. I would think that for smaller line diameters and appropriate connections knots (ie FG knot), it is fine to run the knot through the guides. I personally stay away from running anything above 14# FC/Mono connection knots through the guides of my AGS rods.

Curious to hear other people's input on this, since I might be more careful than others.

Cheers!
    Thats why I asked, wanted others opinions. I have been using Braid to Flouro with the AGS guides for a while, the little document with the new one got me curious?

Has anyone had a failure because of the connation knot?

4. Member
    I believe the reasoning was due to the supposed brittleness of the AGS guides. The connection knot smacking against the guides either during the cast or the retrieve has the possibility of chipping or breaking the guides. I think this was probably very rare, but Daiwa could cover themselves regarding warranties by having this warning. I never ran braid to leader on my Steez casting rod with the AGS guides because of this warning. However, I've heard of a lot of guys running a connection knot with zero problems. Considering the FG knot is very sleek and not bulky, I can't imagine there would be an issue with that connection knot. But if you're running 50 pound braid to a 25 pound flouro leader and you have a bulky connection knot, I could see where damaging the guides might occasionally happen. Supposedly the new and improved AGS guides are less brittle, so I'm not sure if this warning still applies.

What do y’all recommend then? 12lb braid to 10lb flouro? I picked up a Steez 7’1 M/F.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    What do y’all recommend then? 12lb braid to 10lb flouro? I picked up a Steez 7’1 M/F.
    Try the YGK 112 sinking braid. I use the10#, mostly smallies, best spinning brain I have used.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Try the YGK 112 sinking braid. I use the10#, mostly smallies, best spinning brain I have used.
    Honestly, for the price not that impressed. I have it on my Certate and I’ll either be going to Maxcuatro or Sufix 131.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    Honestly, for the price not that impressed. I have it on my Certate and I’ll either be going to Maxcuatro or Sufix 131.
    YGK x8 Upgrade is the one you want - 16lb.

I think we all have our favorite lines/braids, and everyone's applications maybe different.

but still looking for input/thoughts on this little memo Daiwa includes on the AGS rods.

10. Member
    My opinion is that the Steez AGS statement about keeping the knot outside of the guides is one to minimize their liability in the rare cases when a AGS line guide issue occurs and it appears the braid-to-leader knot could be a contributor to that issue.

Ten years ago, I began using braid-to-leader for various techniques and exclusively for the past five years. Leaders are either fluoro (primarily) or mono, dependent upon technique used. My leaders are always long enough that the connection knot passes through the reel line guide as well as all rod guides.

After using Daiwa Samurai, Maxima Braid 8, Suffix 332 and others, I have moved to using YGK G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid (14,16 and 20#) for subsurface weightless/lightly weighted techniques and YGK G- Soul Upgrade X-8 Braid (16, 30, 40, 45 and 50#) for all other techniques.

The SS112 Sinking Braid, with my standard long leader, has been in use with the 7’6” Steez AGS MML since January and now with the new Compile X version. The G-Soul Upgrade is currently in use with the 7’2” AGS Moving Bait Versatile. To date, there has been no issue with the AGS guides due to the braid-to-leader knot passing through the AGS guides. And I am ‘obsessive’ about the maintenance of my gear, so I would be aware of any line guide issue.

OBW, I use an Improved Albright knot for all my braid to leader connections. Tied correctly, the knot is the smallest connection knot I have experimented with. There is minimal to zero loss of line strength due to the connection knot. Also, with practice, I have been able to tie the knot in the wind

That knot passing through the reel line guide and rod guides does not affect casting distance. I have a “casting park” with distances and targets marked that is used to quantify the casting performance from tuning and how various combinations are working together rather than spending time ‘on the water’ to determine something is not working. Those measurements provide an accurate “baseline” of casting performance to compare against performance with various lures in actual use.

Regards,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by DrPerf View Post
    My opinion is that the Steez AGS statement about keeping the knot outside of the guides is one to minimize their liability in the rare cases when a AGS line guide issue occurs and it appears the braid-to-leader knot could be a contributor to that issue.

Ten years ago, I began using braid-to-leader for various techniques and exclusively for the past five years. Leaders are either fluoro (primarily) or mono, dependent upon technique used. My leaders are always long enough that the connection knot passes through the reel line guide as well as all rod guides.

After using Daiwa Samurai, Maxima Braid 8, Suffix 332 and others, I have moved to using YGK G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid (14,16 and 20#) for subsurface weightless/lightly weighted techniques and YGK G- Soul Upgrade X-8 Braid (16, 30, 40, 45 and 50#) for all other techniques.

The SS112 Sinking Braid, with my standard long leader, has been in use with the 7’6” Steez AGS MML since January and now with the new Compile X version. The G-Soul Upgrade is currently in use with the 7’2” AGS Moving Bait Versatile. To date, there has been no issue with the AGS guides due to the braid-to-leader knot passing through the AGS guides. And I am ‘obsessive’ about the maintenance of my gear, so I would be aware of any line guide issue.

OBW, I use an Improved Albright knot for all my braid to leader connections. Tied correctly, the knot is the smallest connection knot I have experimented with. There is minimal to zero loss of line strength due to the connection knot. Also, with practice, I have been able to tie the knot in the wind

That knot passing through the reel line guide and rod guides does not affect casting distance. I have a “casting park” with distances and targets marked that is used to quantify the casting performance from tuning and how various combinations are working together rather than spending time ‘on the water’ to determine something is not working. Those measurements provide an accurate “baseline” of casting performance to compare against performance with various lures in actual use.

Regards,
    Doc
    Thank you Doc!