Thread: Enigma Rods

Enigma Rods

Anyone use these rods or reels? I've played around with the HPT flipping stick and I'm very impressed. I've sworn by St Croix for years, mix between the bass X, mojo, and premier but this season they have really let me down. I've broken 6 (not operator error). Seems like they have the best warranty in the business.

2. Member
    Broke 6 St Croixs in one year? I’m not trying to start an argument but I primarily use St Croixs and have never broke a single rod in 15 years of use. Had to replace 2 tip tops because of my own fault but that’s guide manufacturer thing not on St Croix. If you broke 6 in a year, then it very well could be user error. Take a look at the breakage itself. If it’s splintered, it’s typically an impact failure (not A manufacturer defect), if it’s a clean break then that’s a defect in the graphite. However, most manufacturer defects are apparent within the first couple uses if not the first time you get apply a decent load on the rod. I now make my own rods and most are using St Croix blanks, which means I’m still putting my faith in their products without a warranty.

as far as enigma goes, I believe St Croix is better overall. But they are decent and I haven’t heard many negatives about them. My cousin actually sold me his Loomis DSR to buy an Enigma drop shot rod and he likes the action much better
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    There is something radically wrong if you have broken 6 quality rods in one year. They are either getting damaged in your boat/vehicle or you are abusing them.

4. Member
    There is something radically wrong if you have broken 6 quality rods in one year.  They are either getting damaged in your boat/vehicle or you are abusing them.

5. Member
    Agreed shouldn't be breaking the Croixs. Mabey you should try Ugly Sticks!

6. Member
    if you are breaking the st croix rods like that I doubt the chinese made enigmas will help out??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    I have 5enigma and no issues great actions available

Love my enigmas, have several HPT’s and Ippons, they’re great rods…I’ve used other brands that cost 2-3 times as much and these are just as good IMO!
    2018 Nitro Z-18 (Custom Color)
    175hp Mercury Optimax ProXS
    Tandem Axle Trailer with Custom Rims
    4 Lowrance HDS Lives (2 12’s at Console/2 16’s at Bow)
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8’ PP Blades (Blue)
    Bluewater LED's
    Custom Carpet Graphics (ZDecals)
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate
    Ionic Lithiums
    Power Pole Charge

9. Member
    If you’ve broken 6 of any good brand rod in a year it was operator error.
    Thanks

10. Member
    I understand how it sounds, I be saying operator error as well but the fact of the matter is that its not. The mojo 7ft Heavy is rated for 25 line 1.5oz weight. I'm in Ontario and there isn't any cover that gets thick enough to require 65lbs braid. We're not boat flipping 10+ pounders up here. Ontario's record largie I believe is 8.6 pounds, my PB is 6. 20lbs braid with a 3/4 tungsten weight is my heaviest setup and well within range for the rod it's paired on. The drag on my reels aren't locked down. I have them set for a bit of slip at the apex of the swing on the hook set. Rod are always in the locker with socks and bungee strapped so they don't slam around. Sure I drop rods on the deck sometimes but no more than anyone else. I own 22 never had an issue in the last 4 years until now, other than the occasional eye. All six are broken clean around the 1st or second eye up from the reel seat.

Thanks for the reply everyone. It's much appreciated. It's more the company (Enigma) itself and the warranty that has got me interested. Looking at replacing all 22 with the HPT series, I prefer cork over eva grips.

11. Member
    [QUOTE=AndrewM-Fishing;12115616]I understand how it sounds, I be saying operator error as well but the fact of the matter is that its not. The mojo 7ft Heavy is rated for 25 line 1.5oz weight. I'm in Ontario and there isn't any cover that gets thick enough to require 65lbs braid. We're not boat flipping 10+ pounders up here. Ontario's record largie I believe is 8.6 pounds, my PB is 6. 20lbs braid with a 3/4 tungsten weight is my heaviest setup and well within range for the rod it's paired on. The drag on my reels aren't locked down. I have them set for a bit of slip at the apex of the swing on the hook set. Rod are always in the locker with socks and bungee strapped so they don't slam around. Sure I drop rods on the deck sometimes but no more than anyone else. I own 22 never had an issue in the last 4 years until now, other than the occasional eye. All six are broken clean around the 1st or second eye up from the reel seat.

Andrew - based on where they are breaking I would ask if you are netting fish, just swinging them aboard (which most people do with smaller fish), or do you put your hand under the rod to support it when you lift them aboard? If you are placing your hand under the blank that is the problem - rod blanks are built to bend through the entire length of the rod and interrupting that bend often damages the blank. Think of bending a tree branch and then bending it while resting it over a fence. Unfortunately, I see many "pros" do this on TV and I guess that is fine when you get your rods free, but it will damage the blank and it will eventually break there.

12. Member
    I have a bunch of the Enigmas and have not had any issues at all unless I was the cause.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

13. Member
    I love my enigma ippons also they have a buy one get one half off sale right now

14. Member
    ttranger:
    I definitely boat flip the smaller fish but the big ones up here are typically small mouth on finesse so netting or belly grabbing is mandatory.

I may have inadvertently been the cause of some of the breaks but I've never had an issue before so this has definitely left a sour taste in my mouth with St Croix. Thanks for the reply's gents. It seems the guys how have them don't have anything bad to say.