Thread: Dumb question

Dumb question

Where is the stock transducer on my 2008 triton 18 explorer with stock lowrance hds5

obviously the one for the bow is on the tm but I’m most likely going to upgrade both graphs and just got curious where things were.

any suggestions on what to replace the units with that will fit in the same mount without having to add anything crazy would be helpful too
    most likely buying a ultrex with us2 when one comes available

newb here sorry if I’m just dumb lol

2. Member
    On my 2006 TR186 the rear transducer is by the bilge pump, its epoxy to the hull .Could be in the same area since a 18 explorer is the same as the TR-186. Or they installed it outside , on the bottom of the transom, in that case you should see a black wire coming down the transom to the transducer . I don't know why you want to upgrade those HDS5. Unless they are damaged.

3. Member
    Lol ok I guess I could’ve made myself look a little smarter and said there’s obviously not one off the back by the plug … I’ll have to check by the bilge pump, I’m assuming that would mean it’s a through hull transducer?

anyway I’m wanting to replace both units for something a little more user friendly .. maybe even touch screen

4. Member
    Also my bow tm transducer is held on by gorilla glue at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Jschoettler View Post
    Lol ok I guess I could’ve made myself look a little smarter and said there’s obviously not one off the back by the plug … I’ll have to check by the bilge pump, I’m assuming that would mean it’s a through hull transducer?

anyway I’m wanting to replace both units for something a little more user friendly .. maybe even touch screen
    If it's like my TR196 and my brothers TR186, it will be epoxied in on one of the ledges just to the side of the bilge pump. And if so, yes, it will be a thru hull transducer.

The epoxied transducer maybe a son of a gun to remove. Mine was

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

7. Member
    Think I’m gonna stick with the helm unit and add structure scan and a hds to the bow

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    The epoxied transducer maybe a son of a gun to remove. Mine was
    No need to remove the old 2D transducer. If you get a newer unit with a nine pin connector, just get a 7 to 9 pin jumper cable.

9. Member
    Soooo after investigating can anyone tell me why I have two? One epoxied and one looks like it was but has since popped off and cant trace the wire to see where it goes

10. Member
    Previous owner was too lazy to remove old transducer.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

11. Member
    Previous owner didn’t mention having to replace transducer