Thread: Steering torque

Steering torque

On a Margay, I'm trying to understand steering torque. If I have a lot of steering torque does that mean I need to go down on my motor?

I don't have hydraulic steering, so maybe it's normal?

Basically trying to figure out my chine walking and it seems like I have to much torque to make the small corrections.

Yes, likely the engine is too high, so lower it by 1/2” at first and then drop it in 1/4” increments.

3. Member
    Do you have a suggested starting height for pad to prop?

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Yes, likely the engine is too high, so lower it by 1/2” at first and then drop it in 1/4” increments.
    2022 Bass Cat Sabre FTD SP 175 Pro XS

They don't give a starting height, they indicate that the inside and outside plates should be about level when you start on an R&R plate.

5. Member
    I have a crazy setup so I can't believe they would. 2015 Margay with a 2002 150 XR6. Works great as long as I stay under 60. It's a great combo really with 3 adults I can get 55mph, I can see 61 with 2 adults. I need to be by myself to get crazy. 63 is my current top speed and the chine walk is scary. Current best prop is a 23p scorpion.

6. Member
    Would you say go down from there or up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    They don't give a starting height, they indicate that the inside and outside plates should be about level when you start on an R&R plate.
    2022 Bass Cat Sabre FTD SP 175 Pro XS