New used Vexus boat and some ramblings

I pulled the trigger and bought a 2019 2080. It was rigged with Solix 15, solix, 12, and solix 10 with a G2 200, Powerpoles, Ultrex I pilot link, hydraulic jack plate, and a monotony of other accessories. I added a 360 Mega I had. I relocated the Solix 10 to the bow with the 12 and like that a lot better. The 15 is like having a TV in your face and almost obnoxious when driving as I have to sit up straight and not slouch to see...Not sure what to do here yet.

This is not my first aluminum boat as I started out in a tracker PT 175. Worked great for me but when it came time to upgrade stuff, appeared to be money better spent on upgrading the whole thing. Moved to a Z20 that I liked but the handling on that boat was different. Had to drive the boat quite a bit as it really liked to chine walk. Once I expected this it was not terrible but just felt unbalanced. From there went to a z21 and this was like a super car to me. Stable and comfortable and also fast as can be. Sold it when the covid boat shortage hit and got my money out of it so why would I not. I also got heavy into Kayak fishing and have been doing that as I have been absent from a boat.

So here we are with the 2080. Does not ride like a tin boat nor like a fiberglass. Somewhere in-between.If a 21 foot glass boat is a super car then this is a souped up domestic hot rod, plenty fast but you feel the road. Does not have the sound of wave slap and seems to not get pushed around near as much, granted it is quite a bit longer than the tracker. It planes out quicker than any boat I have ever been in almost surprising me. The ride is good but again not a glass boat. You feel and hear things that normally you would not notice in a glass boat but nothing real exciting. Seems to cut across wakes well although I dont know how well it will handle large chop but I probably wont find out as I fish for enjoyment.

The front deck is like being in the nose bleeds compared to the Z series. First trip I was afraid I had water in the rear pulling the nose up and kept trying to turn on the bilge. No water but just how it floats especially with a 200, power poles, jackplate. Again different, not bad, and I bet once I get used to it I will enjoy it more as I know can use longer rods without slapping the water constantly. The power steering on the motor seems nice and really performs about like hydraulic with maybe a touch less effort required. The remote drain plug seems a great idea that in practicality wears out and does not work as intended. Greased o-ring but still have to give it a pop when closing it. I will most likely get down there and check it before each trip so I guess still a time saver to some extent.

Front deck is roomy enough for me and aside from my daughters coming occasionally plenty of room. When they are there, I do not fish anyways so works well. The build quality seems good when I compare it to other tin boats. It lacks some of the fit and finish of the glass boats but I do not think these are meant to be a direct comparison so I wont. It is a boat that my kids can be in and I not freak out every time I hear a lure slap the side. It is also a boat I can work on as it is not littered with digital dashes and hidden relays.

Overall I think I did good on this purchase and am excited to be back in a boat especially one setup with all the tools that this one came with. It does everything a tournament boat can do just does not look as shiny is the real difference. Time will tell but so far I cannot complain about the overall purchase.

2. Member
    I wish I had all those electronics. That sounds like an awesome setup! I'm slumming it up with a Helix 9 only at my console till I figure out what I actually want up from with my ultrex. We fish a lot of shallow smaller lakes in my area. So I don't even think 360 and live view would be worth it for me 90 percent of the time. We are in 5 feet or under of water most the time. All the guys I fish with who have 360 and live views only use them at 3 of the places we go to and sometimes they don't even bother cause they know where the fish are most the season and if they aren't there they can find them pretty quick. I do envy all your toys though. Sounds just awesome.

I just can't wait to get mine and get my kids on the water vs shores or having my buddies cart them around with us on some weekends.

jimi

I have an 1880 and you summed up the ride perfectly.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    I looked at a guy's 19 foot Vexus this weekend since I am looking at what could be my next boat. I fish a lot of lakes with trees, as does the guy who owns the Vexus I looked at and who Ii spoke with about it. It looked like some of the harder rubs actually tore some of the sticker graphics along the side of the hull. My G3 gets hard rub marks, but the decals don't actually rip due to a rub against a tree. Anyone else see this in theirs?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    I looked at a guy's 19 foot Vexus this weekend since I am looking at what could be my next boat. I fish a lot of lakes with trees, as does the guy who owns the Vexus I looked at and who Ii spoke with about it. It looked like some of the harder rubs actually tore some of the sticker graphics along the side of the hull. My G3 gets hard rub marks, but the decals don't actually rip due to a rub against a tree. Anyone else see this in theirs?
    The decal is kind of 3D and have I knocked off a letter rubbing against a tree branch before. I did call vexus and they sent new decals as a spare and I replaced the letter that was knocked off.

6. Member
    Got caught out today in some high winds so got to see how the Vexus handles some chop. I was on a smaller lake so white caps on this lake are probably medium rollers on a large lake. When on spot lock on points it was windy enough that my trolling motor would come out of the water just so you have an idea of what the conditions were like. I found the Vexus actually handled better then my previous glass boats when heading directly into the rollers. Never had the fear of stuffing the bow at all. It seemed to get up on top and stay there versus dipping back into them. I was quite surprised and found a sweet spot with the throttle where I just stayed right on top when heading against or into the wind. When traversing the chop, the front wondered around more than my glass boats but nothing I was ever uncomfortable with.

When spot locked on these points the boat did roll more then a glass boat but nothing major. it was noticeable, but still manageable and I was able to fish fine. The main place I see the difference is when fishing a bank line with the wind quartering into the bank from behind or straight into my side. I am running the trolling motor on 5 versus 3 to not get pushed into the bank as I traverse down it. Speeds me up a little and I imagine I will get used to this. For all the power fishing guys, this probably still seems slow...

Just thought I would share in the case that there are people out there considering the switch or purchasing an aluminum boat. I still cannot believe how well the boat handles and fishes with this being nearly a third of what a new glass boat would cost granted I bought this used.

"Just thought I would share in the case that there are people out there considering the switch or purchasing an aluminum boat. I still cannot believe how well the boat handles and fishes with this being nearly a third of what a new glass boat would cost granted I bought this used."

So you are saying a 2080 is 1/3 the price of a new glass 20' boat? What did you pay because I am seeing used 2080's for $45k-50k (Boat Trader).

If a 2019 2080 was a third of a new 20' glass boat that new glass boat would need to be $150,000 correct?

I can get a 2019 Bass Cat Eyra for $70,000.

Your math just doesn't add up

8. Member
    Yes I paid 35K for the used boat as I indicated it was used. As it sits a new glass boat rigged with the electronics and all the other goodies that I have would have been right at 100K as I priced it out. $35,000 times 3 is 105,000.00. This is nearly one third...

35k for a 2080 with Solix 15, solix, 12, and solix 10 with a G2 200, Powerpoles, Ultrex I pilot link, hydraulic jack plate is an awsome deal