Vault hubs and bearings questions.

I have a dual axle with brakes on all and the trailer is a 2017. I just rebuild the right rear hub because of a seal failure and all is good there. I have the right front hub that runs maybe up to 10 degrees warmer than all others but not hot by any means. I jacked up the trailer and the one that’s running warmer is spinning freely and the pads do not seem to be dragging at all. I did notice a little movement in the bearings maybe 1/8” at most. There is plenty of grease according to the vault cap indicator. I have been pulling the trailer around a lot lately and the right side hubs are always warmer than the left side. I have a 350 mile trip coming up in a couple weeks and I’m wondering if I should tighten that wheel that has a little play in it. The hub I rebuild on the same side has zero play in the bearings. Is this something I should be worried about? Thanks

I had a seal failure and the cap was still out in the desired position. I pushed on the cap very gently and it popped inward to where it should have been indicating a blown seal! I don't trust the caps anymore. I'll manually push on them and if they don't move, all's well.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    I had a seal failure and the cap was still out in the desired position. I pushed on the cap very gently and it popped inward to where it should have been indicating a blown seal! I don't trust the caps anymore. I'll manually push on them and if they don't move, all's well.
    Did you reuse the same cap or put a new one on when you replaced the seal? I know it’s recommended to put a new grease cap on when you take the old one off.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    Did you reuse the same cap or put a new one on when you replaced the seal? I know it’s recommended to put a new grease cap on when you take the old one off.
    The rebuild kits come with new caps. No sense in not using them. Keep the old ones as spares.

Sorry for the late reply. I've actually done it both ways. No problems with the caps whatsoever, just issues with rear seals. Never had a leak from one of the caps whether new or reused.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I have a dual axle with brakes on all and the trailer is a 2017. I just rebuild the right rear hub because of a seal failure and all is good there. I have the right front hub that runs maybe up to 10 degrees warmer than all others but not hot by any means. I jacked up the trailer and the one that’s running warmer is spinning freely and the pads do not seem to be dragging at all. I did notice a little movement in the bearings maybe 1/8” at most. There is plenty of grease according to the vault cap indicator. I have been pulling the trailer around a lot lately and the right side hubs are always warmer than the left side. I have a 350 mile trip coming up in a couple weeks and I’m wondering if I should tighten that wheel that has a little play in it. The hub I rebuild on the same side has zero play in the bearings. Is this something I should be worried about? Thanks
    It really doesn’t seem that you have a problem. If nothing is running warm you should be good, still I’d pull over after a hours driving and put a hand on them. I drove 700 miles on mine yesterday and they were cool as cucumbers after 7 years without being touched.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    It really doesn’t seem that you have a problem. If nothing is running warm you should be good, still I’d pull over after a hours driving and put a hand on them. I drove 700 miles on mine yesterday and they were cool as cucumbers after 7 years without being touched.
    You're one of the lucky ones. Had one of mine fail at 2-3 years and rip off my caliper!

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I had mine 10 yrs and never an issue.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,