Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bye Bye Johnson Re-Power Time!

So my 96 Johnson 200 Venom decided to spit a rod through the crankcase. Right now I have a choice between a 2003 Yamaha 200 HPDI or a 2004 Merc 225 Optimax. Both engines are fresh re-builds by a trusted mechanic with a good reputation. I'm kinda stuck on making a decision one way or another. I get a little more top end with the 225 but the hpdi is "simple" lot less to go wrong. After dealing with an e-tec and the venom this year I'm more leaning towards reliability than anything else. I know they are both solid motors but any input would be much appreciated.

2. Banned
    225 Optimax.

3. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Seems like 04 was around the time you couldnt give away an Optipop?
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 10-03-2021 at 10:20 AM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

4. Member
    Opti

5. Banned
    Yammy

6. Member
    I'd take the Yamaha!

7. Member
    Neither, the 2003 Yamaha is the first generation HPDI that doesn't have the best reputation, but neither does that year model of a Mercury Optimax.
    Keep looking.

8. Member
    If you want simple and reliable, look for a 3.0 200 or 225 EFI Mercury. Those engines are strong and very very reliable.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FDR80 View Post
    If you want simple and reliable, look for a 3.0 200 or 225 EFI Mercury. Those engines are strong and very very reliable.
    That would be the best option if he can find one.

10. Member
    If I recall correctly, 2004 should be o k, I think they had it under control by then. I had an 01, it was one of the problem years (plug fouling) and gave me fits for a while. Merc gave me a dressed 2003 power head before it blew it’s still running strong. If I was serious about the Opti, I would have the compressor checked, and make sure the injectors are clean. If you buy it, run only Optimax DFI oil, and use Quick Kleen in it as instructed. Also, let it idle to warm up before getting on plane, and let it idle before shutting it down after a run. It does sip the gas, that’s a fact. I don’t have a clue about the Yammie.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayman73 View Post
    That would be the best option if he can find one.
    agreed!

I wouldn't want either of your choices if reliability is priority especially if you put in a lot of hours each season. I'm very biased against opti's after owning several and old hpdi's aren't known to be any better. I would happily take an old efi or even a BlackMax over any brand of direct fuel injection motor

12. Member
    No DI motors from those years. If there is no other choice the Opti would be better if it checks out.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Opti pop... enough said.. like said above wouldn't want either but take the Yamaha over the merc. I'd keep your controls find yourself a evinrude G1 200 HO.

14. Member
    2004 Opti was fine. We had learned by then that they have to be warmed prior to WOT when real cold out.

Yamaha HPDI's bad reputation came from the 225 and 250 engines. The Yamaha 150 and 200 were pretty solid.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Opti pop... enough said.. like said above wouldn't want either but take the Yamaha over the merc. I'd keep your controls find yourself a evinrude G1 200 HO.
    When I purchased the rig last winter it had a 06 e-tec that melted the #2 piston after a month of continuous issues. Fortunately for me the previous owner fronted the bill for six different trips to the dealer before she died. After the e-tec popped I found the 96 venom 200. Used motors are hard to come by in Ontario with everything going on. The Venom spun like a top first couple trips out but then started to decline. Couldn't find anyone that wanted to work on omc. Found a 93 venom 225 with no spark and used it as a parts motor. Popped the 200 and here we are.

After an entire season of chasing down power issues I got the thumbs up from the wife to finance a new motor. Reached out to the yam dealers around me to pick up the 21/22 200SHO. Issue here is yam can't give me a delivery date. Best they can say is next spring to early summer which makes me very uneasy. I've had two very successful back to back tournament seasons with AOY on the table this year (one more lake to go) and can't be left motor-less come spring.

Thanks everyone for the input. It's much appreciated.

17. Member
    I would not want to rely on getting a Yamaha next spring. If going new, is there not a Merc dealer somewhere here in Southern Ontario who has, or can guarantee you a 200 Pro XS before spring?
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

The Merc

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I would not want to rely on getting a Yamaha next spring. If going new, is there not a Merc dealer somewhere here in Southern Ontario who has, or can guarantee you a 200 Pro XS before spring?
    None of the dealers I've spoken with have been able to provide a delivery date other than production is behind and you should see it next spring. I have a buddy that purchased a pontoon last winter and still hasn't taken possession of it because it's still waiting for the motor (merc). It's been very very bad with the supply chain coming up here across all industry.

I've found a couple not so old xs and sho's but the "covid tax" is ridiculous. New 2021 200 sho 25K while a 2018 from the same dealer is 21k. 99 zx202c with the 99 ox66 sold in June for 27.5K up here. I'll go back to a tin boat before I pay these prices.

20. Member
    Who did the rebuild on the 2004 Opti?
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast