Question Scope Suggestion

Today, I purchased a Ruger American rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I intend to primarily use this rifle for deer hunting as well as occasional target shooting. Although I am a fairly experienced shooter (Ar-15s, .22s., Shotguns, etc.) this is my first hunting rifle and I am looking for suggestions on which scope to put on it. With our local terrain, I suspect that 100 yards would be considered a pretty long shot, and definitely nothing farther than about 150 yards. That being said, I don't think I need a super high powered scope. I had my eye on this one, https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-cros...iflescope.html , But I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.
    Eastern Kentucky University
    2003 Stratos 200 Pro XL
    2003 Evinrude 225 HO

2. Member
    https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-cros...iflescope.html

I came here for the bass forum after buying a Triton, first post is gun related.

I'd pick the one linked above if you are in the Cross fire series. I have one on a 308/Ar10. It's excellent in lower light, field of view is great and has the v brite reticle. Even on 12x the field of view is great, it will let you stretch that 6.5 more than a 3x9 if you have the space.

I am a fan of higher power optics myself. Most variables start at pretty low power settings. I would pick something that goes to probably 16X. I have a 6.5<20 on my 7mm-08. I have shot deer as close as 20ft. The higher power makes target shooting much easier. Esspecially at longer ranges, which you have chosen a caliber that is very capable of doing. Maybe go up in optic diameter if you can and it doesn't get out of your budget. Larger optic diameter will gather light better and work better in lower light conditions. By the way my 6.5-20 is a 40 mm optic but I bought it way before the larger optics were common.

4. Member
    I would pick a Vortex Diamondback 4x16 for not much more money. I have one on my Savage Axis II 6.5 Creedmore and really like the side focus and is much clearer than a Crossfire I had.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Leupold. All day, everyday.

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    That scope you listed would be more than enough scope for 150 yards. Vortex is hard to beat with a good warranty. Leupold is an excellent scope as well but you will spend more. I have 3 vortex and 2 leupolds on my hunting rifles. Not a single complaint on either.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

7. Member
    I have the Ruger American in 270. I put a Nikon 3x9x50 and has been an excellent rifle. My next scope is going to be vortex. Since Nikon isn’t making riffle scopes anymore, the vortex vs the Leopold, the vortex was more clear and brighter in lower light. Ended up putting one on a Winchester model 70 264 win mag and a Remington pump 308. Both have been excellent. I would go with 3x9x40. If you go to the 50 the taller rings will require you to sight in at 100 yards.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willhamm97 View Post
    Today, I purchased a Ruger American rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I intend to primarily use this rifle for deer hunting as well as occasional target shooting. Although I am a fairly experienced shooter (Ar-15s, .22s., Shotguns, etc.) this is my first hunting rifle and I am looking for suggestions on which scope to put on it. With our local terrain, I suspect that 100 yards would be considered a pretty long shot, and definitely nothing farther than about 150 yards. That being said, I don't think I need a super high powered scope. I had my eye on this one, https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-cros...iflescope.html , But I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.
    I think that Vortex scope would be fantastic for deer hunting. 3-9x40 is a pretty classic power and objective size for whitetail. Vortex has built a very solid and loyal following since their inception. I personally have Leupolds on my rifles (with the exception of a Nikon that was replaced under warranty years ago).

If you have a retailer where you can look thru that scope for yourself, I would do this first. I prefer a traditional duplex reticle, and the crosshairs on Leupolds are nice and thin. On the one Nikon I own, the reticle crosshairs are thick enough that it bothers me. (Nikon's not making scopes anymore, so its a moot point).

But you might check and look thru several riflescopes, and there will likely be noticeable differences between the manufacturers.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Swarovski Z3 or Z6 series in whatever power you want. Makes Vortex and Leupold look like kaleidoscopes.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Swarovski Z3 or Z6 series in whatever power you want. Makes Vortex and Leupold look like kaleidoscopes.
    You correct about the quality of Swarovski scopes but based on the OP's choice of rifle and a Crossfire Vortex scope I believe the Swarovski scope would give him a serious case of heartburn. It would to me. I have been pleased with the several Leupold, Nikon, and Vortex scopes I have purchased but completely agree the Swarovski is superior. All of the brands mentioned will get the job done.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

11. Member
    I have owned both of the crossfire scopes linked above, they work but optically I dont think are very good. Think the last 10 minutes of legal light on a cloudy day in the woods. A good scope will actually extend your shooting time beyond what you can see with your naked eye, not reduce it. Personally I would stretch a little and buy a better quality scope than you think you need. If that means trying one of these for a year or two while you save, I get that.
    Only other feedback is on reticle. A centerfire rifle like yours for hunting is at point-blank range out to 200 yards or more even with a 100-yard zero. If your max realistic range is 150 yards then there is absolutely no reason for a bdc reticle, its just visual noise. If you end up wanting to stretch a bit (300 yard in a bean field, etc) just zero it 2” high at 100 and you’ll be in the money holding dead-on out to about 250 and you can hold over appropriately only for that longer shot. Even most of the western hunters I know use a standard duplex reticle and dont need to take shots longer than about 300 yards. If you decide you need longer, by that time you wont be asking for scope advice on a fishing forum. ;)

12. Member
    OP ...... do yourself a favor and AT LEAST bump up to the next better scope offering from Vortex.

The only Vortex scopes I've ever had to send back was a Crossfire 3-9x50 ...... then a few months later I had to send the replacement Crossfire back too.

Anything Diamondback and up has been GTG.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

13. Member
    I've had good luck with Burris scopes on everything from a 350 Legend to a 300 WSM. With your terrain, I wouldn't get a scope with the lowest setting higher than 3x, it is hard to find a moving deer with a high power, especially when it is closer to you. 2x7s, 3x9s and Burris also has a 2.5x10.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    I've had good luck with Burris scopes on everything from a 350 Legend to a 300 WSM. With your terrain, I wouldn't get a scope with the lowest setting higher than 3x, it is hard to find a moving deer with a high power, especially when it is closer to you. 2x7s, 3x9s and Burris also has a 2.5x10.
    A second vote for Burris

Put me in the Burris camp. The Fullfield is a dang good scope for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    I have owned both of the crossfire scopes linked above, they work but optically I dont think are very good. Think the last 10 minutes of legal light on a cloudy day in the woods. A good scope will actually extend your shooting time beyond what you can see with your naked eye, not reduce it. Personally I would stretch a little and buy a better quality scope than you think you need. If that means trying one of these for a year or two while you save, I get that.
    Only other feedback is on reticle. A centerfire rifle like yours for hunting is at point-blank range out to 200 yards or more even with a 100-yard zero. If your max realistic range is 150 yards then there is absolutely no reason for a bdc reticle, its just visual noise. If you end up wanting to stretch a bit (300 yard in a bean field, etc) just zero it 2” high at 100 and you’ll be in the money holding dead-on out to about 250 and you can hold over appropriately only for that longer shot. Even most of the western hunters I know use a standard duplex reticle and dont need to take shots longer than about 300 yards. If you decide you need longer, by that time you wont be asking for scope advice on a fishing forum. ;)
    Good points about reticles. I’ve got a Leupold with the Fire Dot reticle and really like it.

17. Member
    I like Leupolds for the more generous eye relief compared to most scopes but I'm sure the Vortex are good too. And count me in for moving up to the mid-level 3x-9x offerings in either line. I seldom use more than 6x when I'm in the woods (too much clutter in the field of view when acquiring the target). On the rare occasions I sit on a field or clearing, I might move to 7x-9x.

On the other hand.....the 6.5 is also a good choice for coyotes so if you ever wanted to give that a try, you might want something that gives you the option of moving up to say, 12x for longer shots

18. Member
    Sorry its taken me so long to get back to this thread. I appreciate all the replies. Y'all have definitely given me a lot of options to consider.
    Eastern Kentucky University
    2003 Stratos 200 Pro XL
    2003 Evinrude 225 HO