Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to upgrade Lowrance HDS5

So I'm new to boating and new to fishing. I bought this Stratos 268FS a few weeks ago and took it out today with the sole purpose of getting accustomed to the Lowrance HDS5gen2.

I did some prep watching videos and what I came away with is y'all are playing with much better gear than this, which makes sense since it's tech and this is old tech.

I don't want to go nuts, but I'd love to get a much better down view and possible side view and structure scan.

Is there a reasonable upgrade that might use the existing transducer? I am not necessarily opposed to replacing the transducer(s). I believe there are two on this boat. Both glassed in in the bilge.

There is also a bow-mounted X48 that is in serious need of replacing. I'd love to get it all upgraded for <$1K.

There is also a depth finder gauge in the helm that is pretty much shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Other than the small size, that HDS is a good capable unit

3. Member
    Hmm. Maybe I should spend more time with it before parting with more benjamins.
    1998 Stratos 268FS, 1997 Evinrude 90
    Me being free trumps you feeling safe.

4. Member
    It’s not a bad unit but the only way to get side and Downscan is to find a StructureScan HD module and LSS 2 transducer.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

5. Member
    ^^^ and that should be fairly easy to find cheap

6. Member
    Roger. Thanks.

7. Member
    Is this a reasonable strategy?

Find another HDS5gen2 (HDS5X?) for the bow, or maybe an HDS7gen2 moving the existing HDS5gen2 to the bow. Dispose of the X48 with the broken display.
    LSS-2 Transponder
    HD Module.

Does that get me full-functionality (Sonar, shared waypoints, etc.) at both consoles if I ethernet connect them?

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whipgenie View Post

Find another HDS5gen2 (HDS5X?) for the bow, or maybe an HDS7gen2 moving the existing HDS5gen2 to the bow. Dispose of the X48 with the broken display.
    LSS-2 Transponder
    HD Module.

Does that get me full-functionality (Sonar, shared waypoints, etc.) at both consoles if I ethernet connect them?
    Personally I wouldn't spend more money on technology that old. At some point you are throwing money at equipment that may/may not last any amount of time.

Did you see the message I sent you about the FS 9 unit that a buddy of mine has for sale.

LSS-2 Transponder
    HD Module.

These items for sale may be of interest, if they have not sold.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1144640

If choosing between an HDS 7 or HDS8 and you have room, I would pick the 8 inch. It has a higher pixel count and has soft buttons that can be programmed for quick screen changes.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    Yeah I just saw the message. Thank you. I am pretty space-constricted and don't think I have room for a 9.

I am sort of coming to the same conclusion that upgrading makes more sense cost-wise. Can a gen3 or HDS 7 network with this gen2 unit?

The HDS Gen3 will network with HDS Gen2 but it will be forced into Legacy mode. This is not as bad as it sounds, you don’t lose any features and still gain Sonar chirp and Fish Reveal.
    I ran a Gen2/Gen3 network for awhile and was happy with it but learned that it is more stable running software version 6.0. This update is no longer available on Lowrance website but You can download it from my cloud drive if needed.

12. Member
    If I'm going to replace everything, Garmin or Lowrance or Humminbird?

Garmin

Gotta ask....what are you using IF you have a trolling motor? That might play an important role in making your final decision. I say that because with the newer models of DF's, I would get something that will be effective with the trolling motor. The 3 you mentioned are all good DF....would hate to see a person get something and then it wouldn't work in conjunction with the trolling motor.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

15. Member
    My trolling motor is an old, manual evinrude with pedal steering. I ended up getting a 5" striker with downview for now and putting the transducer on the trolling motor replacing the totally broken X48. Just installed it today and hope to take it out tomorrow. This is kind of a toe in the water move before dropping apparently many hundreds.

They don't make it easy. I decided I probably don't need a full chartplotter/combo in the bow but I want to share waypoints (user data) with the main unit. Whaddya know, the Elite/UHD FS 7/9 can't share serial data with the striker fishfinders since they don't do NMEA 0183/2000 and the newer units don't do the old data sharing on blue/brown. It's all pretty frustrating when you don't want to put $2-3K into electronics for a 23-yo boat but like gadgets.

16. Member
    That’s a good deal on the HDS8 units and LSS1 setup. I just recently took my last 8” and 10” units off of my spare boat. They still work great but I upgraded my primary boat to Live units and passed my Gen 3 units down to it. I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Gen2 units as an upgrade in your price range. You could then look for a SS3D unit instead of the LSS1. The 3D unit will work with all of the current Lowrance products. You won’t be disappointed with it. All of your power cables, other transducers, NMEA and Ethernet would stay the same also.

Quote Originally Posted by 84rickygreen View Post
    That’s a good deal on the HDS8 units and LSS1 setup. I just recently took my last 8” and 10” units off of my spare boat. They still work great but I upgraded my primary boat to Live units and passed my Gen 3 units down to it. I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Gen2 units as an upgrade in your price range. You could then look for a SS3D unit instead of the LSS1. The 3D unit will work with all of the current Lowrance products. You won’t be disappointed with it. All of your power cables, other transducers, NMEA and Ethernet would stay the same also.
    I may be wrong but I think SS3D is compatible with Gen3 forward.

18. Member
    HDS Gen 1/ 2/ 2 Touch all network well, but a Gen 1 can not share mapping regardless of what generation the other unit is. With these units, you will get full functionality from an m-unit (mapping only) if that unit is in ethernet with a combo-unit or an x-unit (sonar only).
    HDS Gen 3 networks well with older generations if on software 7.0. It networks well with newer units if on software 18.2. HDS Gen 3 is a "turning point" in the HDS-line for quite a few things, thus the option to use it networked with old/ new depending on software used in the Gen 3.
    HDS Carbon, Live and Elite FS networks well.

HDS Gen 2 Touch was the first generation that does not require a module for structurescan (sidescan/ downscan). If you want to keep your HDS 5 Gen 2, I would consider a Gen 2 Touch or HDS Gen 3 (on older software) as this means you don`t need the LSS-module and they will network well with what you have. HDS Gen 2 Touch should be cheap, HDS Gen 3 is more costly since it also goes well with newer units. Getting a Gen 3 now will naturally mean less cost the day your Gen 2 is upgraded as the Gen 3 can stay in your boat with a newer unit, while a Gen 2 Touch would have to go if the Gen 2 is to be replaced with a newer unit than Gen 3.

If in doubt about how to ID the different generations, this might be worth a read:
    https://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/201...rance-hds.html

19. Member
    Thank you for that summary. It helps a lot.

20. Member
    I ended up getting two Garmin 73sv 7" (bow and helm) and a GT56UHD-TM transducer. Boat goes in the basement for the work as soon as the tractor is off leaf duty and can be parked to the side for the winter. Also going to be adding a battery combiner so the trolling battery stays charged. (That little problem pretty much killed my last trip out this year.) So much to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast